rashid Guest

Default San Jose To Los Angeles

I would like to take a day to drive from San Jose to Los Angeles. Does anyone have any advice on the scenic route I should take and any restaurants I should stop at?

Thanks,
    Rashid

Default Are you looking for mountains or...

Quote Originally Posted by rashid
    I would like to take a day to drive from San Jose to Los Angeles. Does anyone have any advice on the scenic route I should take and any restaurants I should stop at?
    Rashid, Welcome to the Forum!

Which would interest you more? Mountains or Seashore? How much would you like to budget for the restaurants?

Mark

rashid Guest

Default San Jose To Los Angeles

Hi Mark,

My preference is the coast, and I am pretty open as far as restaurants are concerned. I will be doing this travelling on Thanks Giving day, so my restaurant options may be limited... I am notn sure.

Thanks,
    Rashid

Default OK -- that is easy

Quote Originally Posted by rashid
    My preference is the coast, and I am pretty open as far as restaurants are concerned. I will be doing this travelling on Thanksgiving day, so my restaurant options may be limited... I am not sure.
    From San Jose take SR-17 over the Santa Cruz Mtns to the Pacific Coast Highway (SR-1) and then head south. Some people gripe about the toll to take the 17-Mile Drive along Pebble Beach, but I always recommend it -- if you have time for a slow cruise. Stopping for coffee at the golf course country club is great too.

From there head south towards Big Sur. If its not too crowded, Nepenthe is groovy spot for a burger. My choice though, is to pick up some deli victuals at a grocery store and do a picnic at Partington Cove. Follow the unmarked fire road along Partington Creek and down to the beach. There is a tunnel where pirates of various persuasions have kept booty over the years.

As you go south, take an hour and walk out the McWay Falls Overlook Trail at Julia Pfeiffer Burns State Park -- a too cool waterfall drops into the ocean -- this time of year, it is likely to only be a trickle, but the view is awesome.

Bubblegum wall -- not for the queasy of stomach -- but something you have to see to believe in San Luis Obispo. Speaking of eating... Moderator Bob discovered a BBQ place and filed a field report that we never published. It is reproduced here for you now:

J.D. Boone’s Smokehouse; 885 Foothill Blvd, San Luis Obispo, CA Phone: 805-544-OINK (6465).

I spent a day on the road between Turlock, California and San Luis Obispo. I stopped everywhere to look at and photograph the magnificent views, on a day tailor-made for that pursuit. Clouds, sun, blue, green, silver and gray sky and water; fog, green hillsides, sheer cliffs, often all in the same view. I didn’t think about eating, until I rolled into San Luis Obispo on Route 1.

By then, I was on a quest, looking for a place to eat. Off to my right, on Foothill Blvd, I saw a neat yellow coffee-shop looking place, so I made a turn into the parking lot -- of J.D. Boone’s Smokehouse. After inquiring of my sister if barbecue was a suitable dinner and receiving an enthusiastic "amen" in reply, we entered unto the Boone “halls of worship.”

Boone’s Smokehouse is the home of “Big Mama,” a 600 pound, 7-foot-tall smoker (from Mesquite, Texas), that puts the smoke in the “smokehouse.” The walls are adorned with Big Mama’s “sayings,” barbecue-country philosophy such as “Big Mama says ‘when you have to vacuum the bed, it’s time to change the sheets,’” and other truisms of that ilk. Meats (brisket and shoulder) are dry-rubbed with seasonings and smoked for up to 14 hours over red oak. The results are delectable.

My sister ordered a chicken breast, and I ordered pork ribs. The ribs were large and meaty, and it took me three days to eat them all. Ruthie’s chicken was tender and moist, which bears mentioning twice (the chicken was tender and moist), as most chicken I’ve had in barbecue establishments has been anything but tender and moist. Not so at Boone’s.

Boone’s serves 5 “basic” sauces and some special ones as well (all on the side). You can choose between authentic North Carolina, South Carolina, Memphis, Kansas City (my favorite) and Texas Spicy. You want to know what the differences in regional barbecue style are? Ask the staff at Boone’s, they can show you and you can taste them ALL in one place! Another exotic blend is called “Texas Pete,” which is kept refrigerated and you have to ask for it. I’m told it’s worth asking for, although I was unaware during my visit so I missed out on that particular treat.

The sides were memorable, slaw and beans (always), and apple sauce. All were delicious, but I particularly liked the applesauce, which is apparently freshly-made and chunky, just the way I’d do it. Boone’s also offers corn bread, potato salad, side salads and fries, as well as some main-dish salads, like an “Apple-Pecan-Raspberry Salad” with blue cheese crumbles or a Southwestern Chopped Chicken Salad that is a local favorite.

J. D. Boone’s is owned by three partners; Joe and Dan Harper (father and son), and a Memphis-born gentleman (wouldn’t you know it) named Boone Pendergrast. Christian Bertolotti, who took care of our order and willingly answered my many pesky questions about the place and never got irritable, says Mr. Pendergrast’s family “owns several smokehouses up and down the eastern seaboard.” He and the Harpers have joined to offer San Luis Obispo barbecue that is first-rate, southern-class. When it comes to barbecue, that's better than world-class! San Luis Obispo is a beautiful and interesting place, a favorite of mine. Aside from that, I’d drive there just to eat barbecue at J. D. Boone’s! Bob Schaller; August 23, 2004

The other place you have to stop are the coves south of Piedras Blancas and check out the locals: elephant seal lions.

I hope you have a grand trip and write again to tell us what you found and did!

mark