cosbypollock Guest

Default Palm Springs to San Diego

Hello

We are from London, and are planning a visit to California.

We are planning to drive from Palm Springs to San Diego. Would someone be kind enough to tell us what our options would be? How long would the journey take by sticking to the major highways? (we realise that means travelling towards L.A and making the journey longer - but we're not sure if travelling the back roads from Palm Springs to San Diego is such a great idea)

Also, how long is the road journey from Palm Springs to L.A?

Thanks.

Default A pretty drive

Quote Originally Posted by cosbypollock
    We are planning to drive from Palm Springs to San Diego. Would someone be kind enough to tell us what our options would be? How long would the journey take by sticking to the major highways? (we realise that means travelling towards L.A and making the journey longer - but we're not sure if travelling the back roads from Palm Springs to San Diego is such a great idea)
    Welcome to the RTA Forum! You didn't mention what time of year this gambit is planned for...

There are plenty of road route options between Palm Springs and San Diego and there is no need to worry about traveling on the "lesser" roads. Depending upon your preferences you can take a couple of days to travel to Palm Springs or do it in a little over two hours by taking the Interstate highways. The fastest and shortest route is only about 126 miles. If you were doing this in the Spring and wanted to see wildflowers I would suggest a different route. But to see some of the local area, I would do the following:

From Palm Springs, state route 111 to state route 74 to state route 311 to state route 79 (of my favorites) and follow that to state route 78 -- PAUSE HERE AT THE JUNCTION FOR some really, really, good bread at Dudley's Bakery and then (continue on SR-79 east a ways to Julian and check out this famous little gold-country town) and then continue down state route 79 (along the Cuyamaca Highway) to Interstate 8 and then west to San Diego. There are a bunch of other routes as well (but they will take longer). The SR-79 route should take you about five hours (with stops for views and food).
    Also, how long is the road journey from Palm Springs to L.A?
    It is all interstate highway and it really depends where in LA you are headed, but Palm Springs to the LAX airport would be ~ 125 miles and require at least three hours.
    ...(we realise that means travelling towards L.A and making the journey longer
    Actually, you don't really go back to LA when you use the Interstate route and there are plenty of side-trips on that route as well. Basically, you just take Interstate 10 west to Moreno Valley and then turn south on Interstate 215 to Interstate 15. I would urge you to stop at Temecula for some great pizza and then you could continue on down I-15 to San Diego or stay on state route 79 (where Temecula Pizza is ) and follow the route I have outlined above.

Have fun!

Mark
    Last edited by Mark Sedenquist; 08-14-2005 at 08:28 AM. Reason: Added a URL

3. Default A "second" on mark's suggestion

I like Mark's (1st) suggested route too -- I've driven most of it and found it to be very scenic! Bob

cosbypollock Guest

Hey! - thank you so much for being so helpful! Just to clarify: Did you mean that the entire journey (above) would take 5 hours? - or just the SR-79 leg?

It will be within the last quarter of October that we'll be doing this....and, yes, journey time we'd like to keep to a 5hr max (entire journey)

By the way, if you have any suggestions on the journey from Las Vegas (where we'll be previously) to Palm Springs that would be much appreciated! I have no idea how far that is - but we'd be wanting to do that in a max of 4hrs (if possible?).

Thank you so much!
    Last edited by Mark Sedenquist; 08-14-2005 at 09:39 AM.

5. Default 4 hours will probably be the minimum

I think you can just about make it in 4 hours if you waste no time, traffic is good and you don't stop anywhere -- and drive like the proverbial bat. My guess is it will take a normal person a few minutes more, at least -- maybe a lot more if traffic is heavy. I'd allow at least 5 hours. I figure the quickest route would be I-15 down to I-215, that to I-10 and back east to Palm Spgs via I-10. Perhaps a "local" (or an Editor) will have a more sure estimate... Bob

Default It really depends on where you stop

Quote Originally Posted by cosbypollock
    Hey! - thank you so much for being so helpful! Just to clarify: Did you mean that the entire journey (reprinted below) would take 5 hours? - or just the SR-79 leg?
    No, I meant the entire journey using SR-79. However, if you just drove it with no stops, it would be about 3.5 hours.
    By the way, if you have any suggestions on the journey from Las Vegas (where we'll be previously) to Palm Springs that would be much appreciated! I have no idea how far that is - but we'd be wanting to do that in a max of 4hrs (if possible?).
    It turns out that the fastest way is also the longest distance -- it is Interstate highway the entire route. Las Vegas I-15 to I-215 to I-10 to Palm Springs which is 272 miles and I very much doubt you can drive it in four hours. Minimum time for this route is 4.5 hours and it may well take five if you stop for food or snacks on the way.

Just like the route from Palm Springs to San Diego -- you could easily make this a two day or a LONG day journey with some key stops and detours on the way. Both the Mojave and Joshua Tree National Parks could be on your way.

Even if you elect to bypass the scenic wonders of Mojave and Joshua Tree, I would still suggest that you add one or more scenic drives to the route. If you like gorgeous mountain lake resorts you could visit Big Bear Lake on the way. Exit I-15 at Barstow Road (in Barstow, California) SR-247 and follow it south to Lucerne Valley and then take SR-18 to Big Bear and then SR-38 to Redlands and I-10 and then head east to Palm Springs. If you would prefer a less moutainous route -- you can use the "local's short-cut to Palm Springs" and the route I always take when I have the time. Again, exit I-15 at Barstow Road SR-247 and stay on SR-247 all the way down to Yucca Valley and then follow SR-62 south and east to Desert Hot Springs and then east a few miles to Palm Springs. My favorite spa in southern California is Sam's in Desert Hot Springs. The "short-cut" route is probably about the same time as the Interstate route -- maybe even 20 minutes faster depending upon local traffic. The Big Bear route will add a couple of hours to the journey. And if you went through either Mojave or Joshua Tree -- add 3-4 hours onto the journey.

If you are looking for some fun stuff to do in Las Vegas -- check out Megan's suggestions.

Mark

cosbypollock Guest

....Thank you both for your wonderful help. What a great site A+++!