Default More Aussie Roadtrippers.

Hi,

Hubby and I are driving New York to Los Angeles starting middle of May to June for about 26 days. These places are a must after leaving New York.

Lancaster County (Amish and quilts)
    Savannah Georgia (because it's supposed to be nice)
    Memphis (no points for guessing why)
    Nashville (hubby is into music)
    New Orleans

Monument Valley
    Grand Canyon
    Las Vegas.

We've been to the Grand Canyon a couple of years ago and took a locals advice who said a few hours would be enough. He was wrong and we didn't have more time to spare so we want to go again, not to hike though.

I would like some suggestions please to fill in the gaps between these places. All suggestions are welcome though no theme parks, we're past that. I've been looking at this site and another and my head is spinning trying to work out what to see. So much to see, so little time.

Also, what is the weather like at that time of year.

Thanks in advance.

Default Some Gap Fillers

Welcome aboard the RoadTrip America forum.

Quote Originally Posted by tickford
    I would like some suggestions please to fill in the gaps between these places.
    I can't argue with any of the places you've chosen so far! Your biggest gap is between Monument Valley and New Orleans, so let's start with some suggestions for that stretch. From Monument Valley I'd continue on up into Colorado to see Mesa Verde National Park. From there, continue eastbound on US-160 to Walsenburg. Note that when you cross Wolf Creek Pass, you are 2 miles above sea level. Get out and take a short hike. Head on down towards Amarillo, TX and on the way, stop at Capulin Volcano National Monument and hike around the top of the volcano and enjoy the views out over the high plains. At Amarillo, be sure to see that unique bit of Americana, Cadillac Ranch. For a taste of some badlands, make a stop at Caprock Canyons State Park just to the southeast of Amarillo. We have a link to a number of other Texas sights here under Texas Road Trips, but make sure to watch how, as you cross Texas, the landscape changes from high plains scrubland to woodland to, finally, swampland as you approach New Orleans. Just a word of warning, New Orleans is still recovering from last year's major hurricane and will probably not be ready to receive visitors this spring. For example, there is a good chance that Mardi Gras will be cancelled. The only other thing I'd be sure to do is to use either the Great River Road or the Natchez Trace Parkway on your way up to Tennessee, and also check our suggestions for stops along this stretch. Finally, by all means try to use the Blue Ridge Parkway between Nashville and Pennsylvania Dutch country.

Quote Originally Posted by tickford
    Also, what is the weather like at that time of year.
    In a word, gorgeous (but maybe wet). It's our spring.

AZBuck
    Last edited by AZBuck; 01-23-2006 at 01:58 PM. Reason: Typos - they're everywhere

AZBuck, thanks for your suggestions, I will check them all out, they sound good. I've bought a AAA Road Atlas so that will help re the route.
    We will be going East - West and have 30 days on the road not the 26 I previously said. I'm aware of the situation in New Orleans but they say they French Quarter is ok so if I can see that I'll be happy. I purposely picked May hoping for reasonable weather, what would average day temp be on the east and west coasts late May- early June, please tell me it's not going to be to hot, I hate the heat although it gets pretty hot where I live.
    This is a great site, so much information it'll take me the next four months to read it all. Anymore suggestions are welcome.

Thank You.

Default A Tad Warmer than I Thought

I checked into some of the temperatures you might expect. Remember that these are averages, and you may run into warmer or colder weather on any given day, but average highs/lows in ēC:

Philadelphia: 22/13
    Savannah: 28/16
    Memphis: 32/21
    New Orleans: 32/22
    Grand Canyon: 23/5
    Las Vegas: 37/22 ("But it's a dry heat")
    Los Angeles: 27/16

AZBuck