Results 1 to 5 of 5
  1. Default working in the US/Canada

    Hi all,

    I would like to make a road trip through America and Canada. I gathered very usefull information on this website, but I was wondering if it is possible to earn some dollars during the trip, doing some jobs...I have to say that I am from Germany. Perhaps there are some problems with the visa and so on.
    Hope somebody can help me,

    Thank you anyways!


  2. #2
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Green County, Wisconsin

    Default A huge difference

    Welcome to the RTA Forum!

    Simply put, you can not work in the US with a standard tourist visa/visa-waiver. You need to get a visa that allows you to seek employment.

    Coming from Germany you'd be eligable to participate in the visa waiver program, where you can come to the US for 90 days as a tourist without any significant paperwork. If you'd like to work in the US, you have to go through the much most extensive process to get a visa.

    I'm not as familiar with Canadian rules, but I suspect they are very similar.

    When you enter the US, you will have to prove that you are able to support yourself for your entire trip or you can be denied entry into the county and sent back home at your expense. If you are caught working under a tourist visa, you can be deported, and banned from traveling in the US in the future.
    Last edited by Midwest Michael; 01-16-2009 at 03:01 PM. Reason: Factual Error - See Below

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Melbourne, Australia


    Quote Originally Posted by Midwest Michael View Post
    ........where you can come to the US for 6 months as a tourist without any significant paperwork.
    Ooops!! Michael. I think you mean 90 days. That certainly is what it is from downunder.

    But as for the rest, Michael is quite right. If you want to work, you need to get a visa which allows you to work.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Green County, Wisconsin

    Default my bad

    You are correct, it is 90 days under the visa waiver, not 6 months. A regular tourist visa is usually valid for up to 6 months, perhaps thats what I was thinking of.

    In any case, you need a work visa if you want to make money during your visit to the US.

  5. Default

    thank you for your responses...That was what I expected..So I probably need to get they money here in Germany. Thank you anyways.

Similar Threads

  1. CA in March - Working on Budget
    By Scottyg in forum RoadTrip Costs and Research
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 09-18-2006, 12:31 AM
  2. Is Everything Working OK?
    By Mark Sedenquist in forum Questions & Comments about using this Forum
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 04-16-2005, 09:52 AM
  3. Working along the way?
    By in forum Off the Beaten Path
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 07-08-2004, 08:30 PM
  4. Working on the road...
    By Brett Dwyer in forum Gear-Up!
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 01-05-2003, 05:35 PM
  5. Ricochet -- Not Working for me!
    By Mychal in forum New Technologies & Products
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 12-03-2000, 05:51 PM


Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts