1. Default Continental RoadTripping in October

Our family is coming over from Australia in October and will be driving from San Francisco to Anaheim. We will have three days and two nights. From previous post I can see to go along Highway 1. Having two children Id like to book accomodation along the way for both nights. Can anyone sugest where to stay on each night? Price isnt an issue. Im a bit of a celbrity junky so Id like to see all the famous soapie sights. We also know wed like to see Hurst castle but thats abuout all we know for now. Can anyone help?
    Last edited by Mark Sedenquist; 07-27-2006 at 06:32 AM. Reason: navigation

Default October is just about perfect for the California Coast!

Quote Originally Posted by Charlie Brown
    Our family is coming over from Australia in October and will be driving from San Francisco to Anaheim.
    Welcome to the Great American RoadTrip Forum!
    We will have three days and two nights.
    A very nice span of time for this trip!
    Having two children Id like to book accomodation along the way for both nights.
    I am not sure that is a logical assumption -- kids can adapt easier to the lack of reservations = more freedom than any adult I have ever met!
    Can anyone sugest where to stay on each night? Im a bit of a celebrity junky so Id like to see all the famous soapie sights.
    What is a "soapie site"? Soap operas? Anyway, a couple of suggestions for locales: It is hard to beat staying right on the cliffs at Seacliff State Beach. The lodge is not inexpensive, but it has beautiful gardens, rooms are nice, great restaurants and it is as easy walk down to the beach. From here is an easy drive over to Natural Bridges state park, (another favorite Santa Cruz beach), in fact, your timing couldn't be better to see some of the thousands of Monarch butterflies that hang-out there each October! You can also do a day trip to the famous Monterey acquarium.

I would take the 17-mile drive along the coast and stop by the clubhouse at the famous Pebble Beach golfcourse for a coffee. Everytme I have taken the trip I have seen sea otters frolicking in the waters off the rocks.

For your second night, I would either choose a motel in Cambria or Cayucos. I really like Cayucos -- a small coastal town with motels right next to the beach and close enough that you can visit Hearst Castle and also check out the strutting of the Elephant Seals at the viewing area just up the road.

For the best of guidebooks to this area -- we recomend this one by Paige Penland.

Happy Planning!

Mark

Default Asilomar, Monterey

One place I've always wanted to stay at is Asilomar in
    Monterey.

The historic buildings were designed by Julia Morgan.

If you choose to stay here, you should probably make reservations.

Alvin

4. Default

Thanks for advice. Yes 'soapie' is a soap opera fan. I think well need to extend our drive to include santa babara and newport beach. Wildlife is fantastic but it would be great to spot some 'wildlife' of the celbrity kind.

5. Default Mind blowing accommodation near hurst castle?

Can anyone recommend any fantastic, mind blowing once in a lifetime accommodation not too far from hurst castle?

6. Default Are we there yet??? How far NY to Niagra

Travelling to NY for two weeks in October. Just wondering does anyone know in drive time how long it would take to get to Niagra Falls? Also does anyone know how long it would take to go from New York to the Hamptons? Were coming in from Australia and dont no wether to do a tour on a bus or hire a car and drive ourselves. Oh, and did I mention we'll be having the chorus of 'are we there yet' sung beautifully by our two children in the back seat!!

7. Default

If you mean from NYC to Niagara Falls, I'd say between 9 and 11 hours.