1. Default Irish Girl planning a road trip - please help !!

Hey Roadtrippers ! I am coming over to the US in September from Ireland. Ill be spending a bit of time in Cape Cod / Boston & NYC. I then have about 5 days free and was thinking of driving up to Niagara and maybe Toronto and then back to Boston to fly home ! I am worried that the drive times might be a bit to long and ill spend my time on a motorway = So maybe should fly but don't want to miss out on seeing everything that you only can on a road trip ! Also if there is any other trip other then Niagara/Toronto that you think might be better please let me know ! I am going google eyed looking at my giany map of the US ! Thanks in advance for your help - Jenny

RoadTripper Brad Guest

Default Niagara

Greetings Irish Jenny, and welcome to the Forum!

Quote Originally Posted by Irish Jenny
    I am coming over to the US in September from Ireland. Ill be spending a bit of time in Cape Cod / Boston & NYC.
    Welcome to the other side of the Pond. September is a good time to visit. There are PLENTY of things to see in Boston and NYC, including our Lady, the Statue of Liberty (thousands of your fellow countrymen were greeted by her when many Irish emigrated to the USA).

I then have about 5 days free and was thinking of driving up to Niagara and maybe Toronto and then back to Boston to fly home ! I am worried that the drive times might be a bit to long and ill spend my time on a motorway
    Per Streets and Trips, Niagara is only about a 6 hr and 43 min drive from Boston. And Toronto is only about an additonal 2 hours. This is very doable.

So maybe should fly but don't want to miss out on seeing everything that you only can on a road trip ! Also if there is any other trip other then Niagara/Toronto that you think might be better please let me know ! I am going google eyed looking at my giany map of the US ! Thanks in advance for your help - Jenny
    The US is a vast place! Even for those of us who live here 24 hours a day. Your trip to Niagara should be very doable with 5 days. Have a safe trip, and Welcome to the USA!

-Brad
    Last edited by Quebec Gen; 08-04-2006 at 10:40 AM. Reason: typo

Default New England!

Welcome, Jenny! I'm new to the forum as well. I just wanted to say that Boston and New England in general is beautiful in the fall and there will be no shortage of great places to visit. Sure, Niagra and New York City are great, but may I mention the virtues of Massachusetts?

Boston, itself, is a wonderful city full of heritage and history. The Freedom Trail is a lot of fun to walk and will give you an overview of many of the historic sites in the city. The Museum of Fine Arts is not to be missed if you're into that sort of thing, though it really is a full day excursion.

The beaches, of course, are stunning. Cape Cod is nice, but may I also recommend Cape Ann? It's on the other side of Boston, about an hour to the north and east. The drive is spectacular (there's also a commuter train) and you can stop in Salem on the way to learn all about witches (a little kitschy, but it's an interesting town). Out on the cape are the towns of Rockport, Gloucester, Manchester-by-the-Sea and Essex.

Essex is known for its fried clams, Manchester has great antique shopping, Rockport has the most wonderful state park (Halibut Point) and Gloucester is home to the Man at the Wheel and was made famous by the movie "The Perfect Storm." It's worth a day trip, very beautiful.

Have a wonderful time in our fair nation!

Joanne
    Last edited by RoadTripper Brad; 07-26-2006 at 06:14 PM. Reason: Removed Personal Site Link - Not Appropriet in Post.

Default Welcome!

Welcome to the RoadTrip America forum, Irish Jenny and JoanneTravelMom!

Cape Cod in September is a good time to see a lot of the area, though things start closing up (some restaurants, etc.) Cape Ann and the Gloucester area have a different "feel" to them. I can't explain it, but I get a sense of maritime exploration in Cape Ann; in Cape Cod I feel more "touristy". But both have a lot to offer.

Plymouth and its famous rock - or you can head out to Provincetown where the Pilgrims landed originally, ride a dune buggy over the sand. Up to the Merrimack Valley, essential in the birth of the industrial revolution in this country.

Just a couple of ideas!

Default Five Days from New York to Boston

Over 5 days you can see quite a bit following your general plan from New York back to Boston. Just some of the highlights along your route as you loop around Lake Ontario would include Delaware Water Gap National Recreation Area, Watkins Glen State Park, Letchworth State Park, Niagara Falls, Toronto, the Thousand Islands, Montréal, and a ton of stuff in northern New England.

You won't be able to see and do everything, but this should give you an idea of what's available in that area. If you skip Acadia National Park and turn towards Boston from Portland, ME, then the whole circuit from New York to Boston can be done in less than 1500 miles, or less than 300 miles per day.

AZBuck

Not to hijack this thread too much, but I agree with you about the Cape Ann area in Mass. I live right by it and don't visit often enough. There is a charm to some of the small towns north of boston that you can't find in the rest of the state.
    Last edited by Mark Sedenquist; 07-27-2006 at 01:29 PM. Reason: navigation resolution

7. Default

Thanks so much for all the great ideas. I have decided to take your adivce and stick to New England. Cape Ann sounds great and we are also thinking of spending a few days doing the kancamagus highway and then up to Maine - any tips for a town to stay in while passing through New Hampshire ? Hopefully some of you will plan a road trip in Ireland and I can repay the favour !

Default You couldn't have made a wrong choice

Tá fáilte romhat.

I think you'd do very well to find yourself a nice Bed and Breakfast in one of the small towns of the area that is known as the Mount Washington Valley. Some of the towns to have a look at are Ossipee, Sandwich, Wolfboro and Moultonboro. The advantage to these places is that they're centrally located to both the mountains and lakes but are a bit off the main tourist highways, NH-16, US-3 and I-91. Conway and North Conway will be considerably more crowded than the towns just listed. One more 'hidden gem': get yourself to the town of Sandwich and inquire as to how to get on the Sandwich Notch Road. This is a moderately well known but little driven dirt road that runs north from the town of Sandwich up into the beginnings of the White Mountains. Even though it's a dirt road, it is easily negotiated by any sedan. It is about as well marked as some of the roads in County Sligo, but once on it you can't get lost. It will bring you out on NH-49 between Waterville Valley and Campton.

And one piece of local jargon. One does not go 'up' to Maine. One goes 'down east'.

AZBuck
    Last edited by AZBuck; 07-27-2006 at 04:00 PM.

Default Niagara Falls & Toronto

Niagara Falls Suggestions:
    -If you go to Niagara Falls, make sure you go to the Canadian Side. American side has a walkway that will take you close to the bottom of the American falls which is pretty cool but there really isn't much else there. The Canadian side has a much better viewpoint for the horseshoe falls, paved walkway along the river, great places for pics, stand next to where the water drops over, etc.
    -On the Canadian side is the journey behind the falls (takes you into some tunnels behind the falls, and you can see the water rush down pas the end of the tunnel). Personally, I'd skip this attraction since I didn't feel it was worth the money.
    -A walk up Clifton hill is also an interesting thing to do. One entire street going straight up this steep steep hill. Lined with wax museums, haunted houses, incredibly tacky touristy stores. Sooooo out of place next to a natural wonder. But, none the less, an interesting walk.
    - Maid of the mist boat ride is a must. www.maidofthemist.com The boat goes right up to the bottom of the Big Horseshoe falls, and you come out pretty wet (despite the rain poncho) but with some amazing pics. Great ride--something you MUST do!
    -If you have time the IMAX movie also gives you a cool history of the falls & the stunts people have attempted. www.imaxniagara.com
    - All of the above are just on the other side of the border (Rainbow bridge I think)

Toronto Suggestions:
    - CN Tower! Worlds Tallest Freestanding building, with an amazing view of Toronto & lake. Take the elevator to the main viewing area, walk on the glass floor, take in the view. If you go up to the skypod (for an extra $5-10) you get a similar view, but if its a really windy day, you can actually feel the tower sway up there. www.cntower.ca
    - Outside Toronto: Ganonoque 1000 Islands Boat Tour http://www.ganboatline.com/home.html