Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    The Great Midwest, Illinois to be precise

Default A British Isles Cruise

My family and I will be taking a cruise around the British Isles from July 11-21. The ship will be leaving Southampton, and will be making stops at S. Queensferry, Invergordon, Greenock, Belfast, Dublin, Holyhead, and Falmouth.

I would appreciate knowing anything of interest about any of these places. We have shore excursions planned for all of these destinations, but I always like to check out a few other things.

Upon disembarking, we'll go to London, and then take a ten day bus tour through the English and Scottish countryside. I don't have that itinerary right now.

Keep on Down that Two Lane Highway and Don't Fall Off the Boat. --RoadDog

By the way, last month, I saw the movie Poseidon. While sitting in the theater, I was thinking to myself that this was probably not too good of a movie to see before embarking on a cruise ship. I will keep my eyes open for rogue waves.

Default Just one of the reasons....

Quote Originally Posted by RoadDog
    By the way, last month, I saw the movie Poseidon. While sitting in the theater, I was thinking to myself that this was probably not too good of a movie to see before embarking on a cruise ship. I will keep my eyes open for rogue waves.
    That is just one of the reasons you will never catch me on a cruise ship!

Hope you have a grand adventure!

Mark

Default I dare those big waves myself!

I've never met a trip I didn't like. I love cruises for very different reasons than I love road trips. But they're both good.

Unfortunately, I know absolutely nothing about any of those places in England. And it's been 25 years since I've been there. I think my favorite place (after London) was the city of Bath. Amazing architecture. I learned that warm beer, the type they make in England anyway, is actually good warm. I think British food is under-rated. If they still sell fish'n chips wrapped in newspaper on the street, go for it. Yummmmm!!!! The historic City of London is a must-see. Winchester Cathedral, the National Gallery, Tower of London, and Buckingham Palace are just a few of the many wonderful things I remember seeing. Gosh, I'm really no help. I'm probably not telling you much that you probably don't already know.

Hope someone can pop in here and give you some better hints than I have. Enjoy! And come back and tell us about your trip when you return.

South Queensferry is near Edinburgh; if you get a chance you should definately get to the castle there.

I have driven through Greenock: it seems pleasant but I don't know much about it, though I have friends who are from around there; I've been to nearby Wemyss Bay (pronounced "weems bay") and Skelmorlie and enjoyed my time there.

Invergordon is in the beautiful Moray Firth; you can see an odd juxtaposition of seals basking on the dunes (and if you're lucky, dolphins), and oil platforms parked in the waters. There's a great view of the Black Isle and the firth from the Cromarty Road Bridge (more of a causeway, I think!):

picture of the Moray Firth looking towards Invergordon

Default You've Whetted my Appetite

I'm signing up for some shore excursions now. Great picture. Thanks DJ Toast.

Sounds like a pretty good way of seeing alot! Your cruise will take in Ireland, Wales (a little) and Scotland, and your coach tour will top you up on Scotland and show you England. Your tour will probably take in Stratford-on-Avon, which is fascinating; and Warwick, which has one of the finest castles in the country. I would hope that trip would also take in the city of York which is a fantastic place.

At the moment the weather is getting into the 90's every day so I'll try and keep that around for you.

I'm excited for you....and I live here!

RoadTripper L01 Guest

Youll aheva great trip! The crusing aspect is brilliant and very erlaxing and you should get some lovely sights on the way. London is definately worth checking out for a while, and also try Oxford, you can go punting down the river and its just brilliant! If you like theme parks, Thope Park and Chessington are good, as is Alton Towers up north!! Enjoy!

Default Scotland

I hope you get the chance to see some of the west coast from the shore. The scenery is fantastic. Alot of the small towns are quite rough, but often very picturesque. If you are cruising around the UK then i hope you get to stop at some of the Scottish isles. These are amazing, better beaches than the bahamas (not so many people and none are private) and on a good summers day they are unbeatable (in my view). You will probably stop of in Skye, the largest of the islands, unfortunately this is also the busiest with its controversial new bridge. However the mountains, The Cuillins (Koolins) are incredible with the UK's longest mountain ridge. Anyway wherever you do end up in Scotland, i hope you understand the dialect, some accents, particularly aberdonian, are very tricky! But it is a beautiful country and as i said if you get the weather it is unbeatable! Have a great trip.

Default Absolutely Great Trip, but Expensive

Back home now after visiting Loch Ness, St. Andrews, Glamis Castle, Inverness, Castle Urquhard, Glasgow, Belfast, Grey Abbey, Titanic drydock, Dublin, Trinity College, St. Patrick's, Wales, Bodnant Gardens, Snowdonia, longest name village, Cornwall, and Land's End on the cruise side of the trip.

On land, we did the on-off Thames River tour to Greenwich where longitude was established, the Cutty Sark, Tower bridge, Tower of London. Then a bus tour of Big ben, Parliament, Winchester Cathedral, St. Paul's, and Changing of the Guards.

Then, for the mere pittance of 3 pound 50 pence, we had an on-off bus adventure through London. I say adventure because we got stranded in the bus, got lost, heard a fight/argument on first floor of the double decker that would have made even Jerry Springer flinch, saw the Marble Arch at least three times, got lost, were shocked by even the half price sale item prices at Harrod's, got detoured (some unfortunate American looked the wrong way crossing a street said the Bobby shaking her head), saw some VERY angry people at Speaker's Corner in Hyde Park (near the Marble Arch), got lost, and were a bit alarmed by some protesters on our walk back to the Hilton London Metropole Hotel. To top it off, some poor fools came up to us and asked US for directions. We had to laugh about that one. Talk about your blind leading the blind.

On the bus tour itself, we went to Hampton Court Palace, Salisbury Cathedral, Stonehenge, Bath, Stow-on-the-Wold, Stratford on Avon, Shakespeare's house, Llangollen and a canal ride, Chester, Lake District, Grasmere, Gretna Green, Edinburgh, ate haggis, Edinburgh Castle and Holyroodhouse Palace, Scottish Museum of Art, Princess Gardens, Abbottsford, Hadrian's Wall, York, Belvoir Castle, and Stamford.

Let me catch my breath.......... . This was some absolutely beautiful countryside and friendly people. Personally, I'd like to go back and spend two weeks in Wales.

There were only three problems encountered. One was the value of US money (lack thereof). Another was the lack of airconditioning. A last was what I call the Battle of the Ice Cubes.

I'll go into greater detail another time.

Keep on Down which Side of the Road? --RoadDog

Default Being Lost: A metaphor for the times

Quote Originally Posted by RoadDog
    Then, for the mere pittance of 3 pound 50 pence, we had an on-off bus adventure through London. I say adventure because we got stranded in the bus, got lost, heard a fight/argument on first floor of the double decker that would have made even Jerry Springer flinch, saw the Marble Arch at least three times, got lost, were shocked by even the half price sale item prices at Harrod's, got detoured (some unfortunate American looked the wrong way crossing a street said the Bobby shaking her head
    Well, I am glad you didn't lose your head! Somehow I missed this post earlier, pleased I found it this morning. Brought a chuckle to my day. A few years ago, I spent three days getting more and more "lost" in a maze of old logging roads in Idaho -- had a slight disagreement with my GPS (grudgingly admitting it was probably correct) and had a great time. Sounds like a similar time in merry ole England --
    Let me catch my breath.......... . This was some absolutely beautiful countryside and friendly people. Personally, I'd like to go back and spend two weeks in Wales.
    One of these days, Megan has threatened to hog-tie me and get me to the UK too. We will see.
    There were only three problems encountered. One was the value of US money (lack thereof). Another was the lack of airconditioning. A last was what I call the Battle of the Ice Cubes.
    Battle of the ice cubes?

Mark