OD Guest

Default 2 British Guys - Planning Road trip!!!

Hi everyone. Two maybe three British guys aged 23 are looking to go on a Roadtrip across the States in February. Havent got a clue where to start, we can fly to anywhere and begin the journey. We are considering landing near to Boston and then travel south. Maybe cut across to Illinois and travel down to Memphis. Into Texas and then travel west to Nevada, California etc. Would like to visit as many Big Cities as possible to experience the nightlife, but also visit many of the famous landmarks across the USA. Also how much money do you think is required for a 3month journey from one side to the other? Any thoughts would be much appreciated!!

OD Guest

Default 2 British Guys - Planning Road trip!!!

Hi everyone. Two maybe three British guys aged 23 are looking to go on a Roadtrip across the States in February. Havent got a clue where to start, we can fly to anywhere and begin the journey. We are considering landing near to Boston and then travel south. Maybe cut across to Illinois and travel down to Memphis. Into Texas and then travel west to Nevada, California etc. Would like to visit as many Big Cities as possible to experience the nightlife, but also visit many of the famous landmarks across the USA. Also how much money do you think is required for a 3month journey from one side to the other? Any thoughts would be much appreciated!!

Default Nightlife and "Drive USA"

OD,

There is an excellent book that was written by a fellow Brit that details some of the joys and challenges that can arise for British road tripppers visting the USA. For a review on this site, go to <a href="http://www.roadtripamerica.com/read/uk.htm">www.roadtripamerica.com/read/uk.htm</a>. His book provides excellent tips about money and the logistics of mounting a full road trip adventure.

Now, in regards to $$ -- you mentioned night life -- and depending upon taste, the cost could be outrageous or simply reasonable. For a three month adventure, there are a host of travel parameters with their own costs but I would suggest a reasonable budget of $2500 to $4500 USD would give you plenty of options.

Mark

Default Info about Memphis -- and don't forget New Orleans!

If you're planning to go to Memphis because you are into pop culture and music, see Elvis's home, Graceland, for kitch and visit Sun Studios for cool. Beale Street has a mix of blues bars and tourist traps but it's okay, too. For great barbeque, check out the Rendezvous restaurant located in an alley in downtown Memphis.

****Then I strongly advise heading South to New Orleans.*** It's a lot of fun, there's tons to see and do, and it's not too far out of your way.

**A note about driving in the States in February: SNOW.
    If you plan to drive from Boston to Chicago to Memphis this time of year, you are likely to encounter snow flurries...maybe if you are unlucky, a huge snowstorm. Make sure you are a member of AAA or a similar motor club and check weather reports before heading out (or staying put).

By the way, if you are heading into Illinois, don't skip Chicago. It's a great city. For museum info and basic tourist information check out the Chicago office of tourism at: http://www.ci.chi.il.us/Tourism/.

Sounds like you're planning a great trip!

Jennifer Bianchi Guest

Default roadtrippin' the US

I just got back from a US roadtrip and although I didn't see it all, I do have a couple of suggestions:
    1. Make plenty of time for Las Vegas, NV. There are so many trendy restaurants and clubs to see, along with a lot of great shows. See one of the Cirque du Soleil shows if you get a chance. Be prepared to drop upto $200 on a room if you are visiting on a weekend. Try making reservations through a website like www.travelworm.com Bring plenty of $$ if you are gamblers.
    2. San Diego is a nice place to visit (my hometown). For nightlife, stop by the Gaslamp District in downtown. There are also many hotels in the nearby area. Our weather in February will probably still be in the 70's so pack something light to wear just in case.
    3. If you go to Seattle, check out Pike Street Market and the Space Needle.
    4. If you want to see great monuments and national parks, the western US is the place to be. If you plan on visiting 3 or more National Parks, buy a Park Pass from their web site at www.NPS.gov . It will cost you $50 but each individual park is going to run up to $20 anyway. The Grand Canyon is a must, but you can only stare at the gaping hole in the earth for so long. Spend some time in southern Utah at Arches/Canyonlands/Zion areas. In California, Yosemite is beautiful from it's meadows to it's mountains. Burney Falls, in Northern California, is a nice stop too. Yellowstone in Wyoming is a must see. Plan a long day, or two to check out all it's strange natural features. Crater Lake in Oregon is also nice.

As far as money is concerned, plan on spending about $30 a day on gas and $45 on hotels. Make sure you stop by each state's welcome center and pick up a discount motel coupon guide. They do save you a ton of cash. Definitely make sure you have money tucked away for towing and possible emergencies. Food costs depend on how much you eat and what kinds of places you eat at. I would figure about $18-40 a day depending on how much fast food or store bought food you eat as compared to restaurants. Money for entertainment is totally up to how hard you party. ALWAYS overestimate this one. Good Luck and have fun!

Default Follow up question!!!

Along similar lines I am also a Brit planning a similar trip. I am interested in getting hold of a vehicle but don't know the best way to do this. Is it cheap to hire a car for 90 days or better to buy a cheap second hand car?? Can non US citizens join the AAA and do you have to get instrurance, tax etc.....

imported_Angus Bangus Guest

On your way down I-55 South out of Memphis, you will come to a town called Hernando shortly after you cross the border into Mississippi. Stop there and find a place called 'Old Style BBQ' or something like that. Cheap food, and the place looks like a dump, but I remember a very tasty lunch there.

ab