1. Default Orange County to Grand Canyon

Hi,
    Driving from Orange County to Grand Canyon, like to know is there any places on the way to stopover or tourist spot?

Thanks
    Durai

Default Get your kicks...

Welcome to the RTA Forum!

There are a few options, depending upon what route you are planning to take. If you take the standard I-15 to I-40 route, there are several classic Route 66 towns along the way, like the classic old west town of Oatman, AZ. I suggest you take a look here for a field report from the area.

You could also take I-10 out to Joshua Tree National Park... continue onto the Arizona border, and then head north through Lake Havasu City and check out the London Bridge before continuing north to I-40.

Hopefully you'll find those suggestions helpful as you get out on the road!

3. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Durai
    Hi,
    Driving from Orange County to Grand Canyon, like to know is there any places on the way to stopover or tourist spot?
    We actually did this trip a couple of years ago

Places we stopped at (or considered)
    -- Mojave National preserve, including Kelso, Kelso Dunes, Hole-in-the-Wall, and Mitchell Caverns.
    -- Obsidian collecting near Ludlow, Amboy crater, old R-66, Trilobyte and marble collecting nead Cadez
    -- Lake Havasu, including the wildlife areas along the Colorado
    -- Laughlin
    (Depending on your time and route, there are a number of interesting places on the I-10 southerly route, including geodes at Wiley well and the intaligos along the Colorado River -- but on a speed trip these are out of the way)
    -- Grand Canyon caverns (in Arizona)
    -- Williams Arizona, where you turn north to Grand Canyon.

If you have an extra day or so, we did a 2 night trip to GC from SoCal and return.
    -- Day one to Williams, with lunch at Michell Caverns (tours were already booked :( )
    -- Day two up through Grand Canyon, along the south rim, and then south through Wikpaki Ruins and the Sunset Crater National Monument, to Flagstaff and then east to Holbrook.
    -- Day three, Painted Desert and Petrified Forest National Park, and return. (We did a long day's drive home -- through Flagstaff, Sedona/ Red Rock Canyon, Montezuma's Castle (indian cave dwelling), Wickenburg, Quartzsite, Palm Springs, and back)