1. Default L.A. to New York, coast to coast

Me and a couple of my friends just graduated from college and we decided that the perfect way to celebrate would be to road trip from the Anaheim area to New York. We're definitely serious about the trip, but none of us have ever done anything like this before. We want to see as much as we can within a ten day span. I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions about places to visit on the way, a ballpark range of costs, and any other information or strategy that could be useful for us. We're still young so we want to enjoy ourselves as much as possible while still seeing the best of all the natural sights the U.S. has to offer. Thank you very much.

Default All the sights at 70 mph?

Welcome to the RTA Forum!

I certainly appreciate wanting to celebrate the end of school with a grand cross country road trip. However, A 10 day trip is barely enough time to drive from LA to NY and then turn around and drive straight home.

I think you would have far more fun if you scaled down your plans. You could have a very nice 10 days enjoying any number of things the west.

I'd probably start by taking the Roadtrip Compatibility Test, and try to figure out with your friends what exactly your goals are for this trip.
    Last edited by Quebec Gen; 05-13-2006 at 07:45 AM. Reason: fixed typo

3. Default 10 days one way

Thanks for the reply. I meant to say 10 days from L.A. to New York. We have family there and want to stay there for a pretty good amount of time. So the 10 days is a one way trip. Does that change your answer?? haha I'm hoping that it does. Thanks again.

Québec, Montreal, Arizona, California, France

Default Time frame & budget tips

Hi Tambyi,
    I meant to say 10 days from L.A. to New York.
    Ha, that's different! 10 days is far more reasonnable!
    a ballpark range of costs, and any other information or strategy that could be useful for us.
    The range of cost for a trip like that can be anywhere from 2 000 to 10 000$, it depends on how much time you spend on the road (gas), if you eat in restaurants, if you stay in fancy hotels, motels or camp. Gas, lodging and food are usually your top expenses on the list. Have an extra though in case of mechanical problem. Here's an article regarding budget tips and a fuel calculator that can help you figure out how much you'll spend on gas.
    places to visit on the way
    What route are you planning to take? You can use the Search function on this very forum to find great suggestions of must sees throughout the USA.

Happy planning!
    Gen