1. Default Richford NY to Santa Barbara CA 2nd week of Jan

Hi all:

I'm going to be driving from upstate NY to Santa Barbara CA approximately the second week of January, and I need to do the drive in as few days as possible. I'd really appreciate any advice on route planning, because I'd like to avoid any inclement weather - I don't have any experience driving in snow and do not want to start now. The shortest route seems to cut through a lot of the midwestern snow regions. Is my best bet heading straight down south from NY, then cutting across the southern states?

Thanks so much =)

stelle
    Last edited by stelle; 12-22-2005 at 10:29 PM.

Default Upstate NY?

Quote Originally Posted by stelle
    I'm going to be doing a "speed run" from upstate NY to Santa Barbara CA approximately the second week of January.
    Welcome to the Forum. You are leaving from upstate NY and never developed experience with snow? Don't you have snow there right now?
    The shortest route seems to cut through a lot of the midwestern snow regions. Is my best bet heading straight down south from NY, then cutting across the southern states?
    The best route for winter weather travel is almost always the shortest. If you add the several hundred miles it would take to go via the southern states, you will still hit winter weather, even if part of it is not snow. Your best bet would be to use I-90 to I-80 and follow it all the way to Salt Lake City and then follow I-15 to Apple Valley and pick-up SR-18 to SR-14 and then north to SR-126 and then west to US-101 and Santa Barbara. Be sure to read Judy's tips for Speed Runs and keep an eye on the horizon and an ear on the weather channel...Oh and have fun!

By the by, most online mapping programs will route you via I-40 (2900 miles) but I would still use I-80 -- much better weather response than you will find along I-40.

Mark

3. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Editor
    Welcome to the Forum.

Thanks, Mark! I'm really glad to have found it =)

You are leaving from upstate NY and never developed experience with snow? Don't you have snow there right now?
    I should have anticipated that one =) I'm heading to NY from the South to pick up my dogs, who were staying w/a friend while I was overseas. I've never driven there in the snow or ice.

The best route for winter weather travel is almost always the shortest. If you add the several hundred miles it would take to go via the southern states, you will still hit winter weather, even if part of it is not snow.
    I dunno, I'm so nervous about snow I may not mind going several hundred miles out of my way to avoid it - if that's even possible!

Your best bet would be to use I-90 to I-80 and follow it all the way to Salt Lake City and then follow I-15 to Apple Valley and pick-up SR-18 to SR-14 and then north to SR-126 and then west to US-101 and Santa Barbara.
    Be sure to read Judy's tips for Speed Runs and keep an eye on the horizon and an ear on the weather channel...Oh and have fun!

By the by, most online mapping programs will route you via I-40 (2900 miles) but I would still use I-80 -- much better weather response than you will find along I-40.
    Ok, Great! Thank you so much for the advice. The online mapping progs are great but so far I don't think they are "smart" enough to weigh in the variables I am concerned about =) Judy's tips are great - there is stuff in there that I never thought about and will definitely use! We should have fun. My dogs are good travelers!

Default That's not possible

Quote Originally Posted by stelle
    I dunno, I'm so nervous about snow I may not mind going several hundred miles out of my way to avoid it -if that's even possible!
    It is really not possible to get far enough south to avoid all snow and still stay in the United States. -- Even though I-80 is potentially a snow route the entire way, it is often the fastest route in the winter. Just have to watch those weather reports. Also read these tips about winter weather travel.

5. Default

I am taking a similar trip but went to GA first (there now) and then going through the south to CA. As soon as I hit Kentucky, all the snow just about disappeared. According to weather.gov the weather along i-40W will be in the 50s-high60s (for highs) so I think it is entirely possible to miss all the snow.

Default It has been unseasonably warm this week

Quote Originally Posted by Plasdom
    According to weather.gov the weather along i-40W will be in the 50s-high60s (for highs) so I think it is entirely possible to miss all the snow.
    Last year at this time it was snowing in Las Vegas and this year the day-time temps have reached the mid-70's and so, yes, I bet you can make it snow-free for most of the trip.

Mark

Québec, Montreal, Arizona, California, France

Stelle,

I dunno, I'm so nervous about snow
    You really shouldn't worry that much. I live in the snow 8 months a year, I don't necessarily enjoy it, but I've decided to live with it and it involves learning to drive in every winter condition possible. Today, I can say it is a very practical knowledge to know how to drive in the snow and in all those years I never had any accident.

One of the greatest tips I can give you is drive at your own pace and don't use the brakes too much on ice and snow. Personally, I prefer to use a standard transmission in snow but opinions differ from one person to another. Some drivers can be pushy and tailgate you. Just ignore them, stick to the right, they'll eventually find a way to pass your car and if they want to get killed, it's their business. You don't have to do the same and drive 80 mph on a icy road. Nevertheless, like Plasdom said, it is fairly possible you won't have to drive in snow conditions if you stick to interstates. They are usually well maintained during the cold season. Make sure you have good winter tires, an ice scraper, windshield washer winter liquid, a small shovel and traction aid kit, warm clothes and a charged cell phone.

Gen

8. Default Thank you!!

Thank you all so much for the words of encouragement and helpful advice! I'm actually starting to look forward to the trip now =)