Girish Guest

Default Shortest Route from SF to Vegas

I was checking google maps and found that the journey is around 10 hours. I wasn't expecting that. The route seemed a bit circuitous to me as it went thru bakersfield, just about 100 miles away from LA!

My plan was SF-->>Vegas-->>LA

But if we are swinging so close to LA isn't it better to go there first. I don't have to return, just fly to NY so doesn't matter where the journey ends.

But please, does anyone know a faster & shorter route from SF to Vegas? How much time would it take?

Thanks for all your help.

Regards,

Girish

Default That's it

The route through Bakersfield is the fastest way from SF to Vegas, and it will take a good 9 hours.

If it doesn't matter where you finish your trip, yeah, I'd say go from SF to LA to Vegas. Not only will it be shorter, but you could use the time you saved to take the Pacific Coast Highway for at least part of your trip.

Girish Guest

Thanks. I don't think I am lufthansa's favourite client right now. Yesterday I made them extend my return flight by a day to and now I'll call and ask them to switch my UA flight to LV-> NY :-))

Default Fastest -- not the shortest!

Quote Originally Posted by Girish
    I was checking google maps and found that the journey is around 10 hours. I wasn't expecting that. The route seemed a bit circuitous to me as it went thru bakersfield, just about 100 miles away from LA!
    The route that you saw was the fastest -- but not the shortest. The shortest route is almost a direct line through the mountains, but it is closed due to snow this time of year.
    My plan was SF-->>Vegas-->>LA But if we are swinging so close to LA isn't it better to go there first. I don't have to return, just fly to NY so doesn't matter where the journey ends. But please, does anyone know a faster & shorter route from SF to Vegas? How much time would it take?
    Imported_Midwesterner does have a good point, but my advice would remain to go direct from San Francisco to Las Vegas. Bakersfield is not really that close to LA. Go to Las Vegas -- enjoy the southern Nevada area and then head to LA. It is 5.5 hours from Las Vegas to LAX.

Mark

Girish Guest

That would save me much trouble too.

But now that I know how much time it really takes, I will change my avis reservation. Prob pick up the car at 6-7 in the morning so that I get to vegas before night.

Thanks everyone.