Maartin Guest

Default "Hotel" planning

Hello,
    I'm planning a roadtrip with a friend next spring, perhaps may for about 3 weeks. How much can you expect to spend on hotels/motels and what are our options? Simple is ok as long as it's clean. Any suggestions?
    /Martin

Default A subject of much discussion

Quote Originally Posted by Maartin
    Hello,
    I'm planning a roadtrip with a friend next spring, perhaps may for about 3 weeks. How much can you expect to spend on hotels/motels and what are our options?
    Welcome to the Forum, Martin!

This is a subject of much discussion here on the Forum. If you use the search function (in the green navigation bar above) and enter motel or hotel you will find hundreds of posts about the cost range of motels. Also here is an article written by two of our "cheap road trip experts" sharing some tips about this subject.

Mark

RoadTripper Brad Guest

One good source if you are an AAA member is the Tourbooks, which are published by region. I used mine on my last road trip to find the next Motel 6, and the price range. Each listing usually contains either their seasonal price ranges or their per-person ranges. I'm finding that in planning my next trip, its providing a great way to find some 'mom and pop' motels that have been rated and approved by the association.

The articles/posts on this website are also GREAT help too!

You've gotten some good info. I'll give you a tip I sometimes do. If I know where I'm going to end up that night and know there is a Motel 6 there, and if someone is at home with access to a computer, I will sometimes call home on my cellphone (free LD so this costs me nothing), and have the person at home make my reservation. The internet rates for Motel 6 are usually cheaper than their AAA rates. Saving a few bucks here-and-there adds up.

I agree that the AAA guidebooks are a great resource to carry with you. Even if you simply just use your AAA discount, you're saving money and have the assurance that the place is reasonably clean and maintained.

Motel 6 rates tend to be from about $35-55 depending on location. Other lower-priced chains like Days Inn are comparable.

Maartin Guest

Very useful info! Thank you all for your replies.
    /Martin