Default 10 days in Southern CA

Hi,
    Me and my husband have planned to visit southern CA (from Bay area)during the xmas vacation; from Dec 23 2005 thru Jan 2 2006.
    Our main interests would be the best state and national parks in Southern CA.
    Anza-Borrego is top priority. Others include Red canyon & a couple of beaches.
    We have 2 days planned for Vegas(when we will cover Hoover dam in detail). We have already been to the Grand Canyon, so will drop it.

How cold can it get in there? We plan to camp some days...I really want to camp in Anza-Borrego. But will rain be a problem?

Our drive will be along the coast down and way up inland(loop).

Anything I need to know, any interesting places to visit? All welcome.
    Also, we have a 2001 corolla. I do not know if we will miss a lot without a 4wd.

thanks in advance,
    Cool

2. Default Anza Borrego climate

Well, December and January are the "rainy season" months in the inland deserts of Southern California... and they typically get about... an inch max at Anza Borrego. So you don't have much to worry about really -- you have an excellent chance of beautiful weather. The temps will be around 65-70 days and mid 40s at night, probably.

Unless you know the area well it'll be good for you to stick close to the major roads anyway -- it's easy to get lost in the desert. So the Corolla will likely serve you fine.

If you're interested in Mexico shopping, try Algodones over by Yuma, and while you're there, you might visit the old territorial prison (at Yuma).
    Last edited by Robert Schaller; 11-17-2005 at 01:30 PM. Reason: Added link

Is it possible to chk out Death valley at the same time?

Default Day Trip from Vegas

Quote Originally Posted by cool
    Is it possible to chk out Death valley at the same time?
    Staying overnight in Death Valley would be my top suggestion, but since you have only two nights scheduled in Las Vegas, you can probably "do" Death Valley as part of your day trip back towards the west (when you leave Las Vegas). For some of our recommendations in "Vegas" click here. And for the best "free meal" in town click here.

Mark

If you are planning to visit Anza Borrego, definitely include a stop at Joshua Tree National Park. One of my favorite desert landscapes in southern California and some amazing rock formations make it a great spot to visit. Just make sure you dress warmly.. its not uncommon to find snow during the winter months.

Mark,
    Camping at Death valley would be fine with us, but will mother nature allow us?
    How is the road from Vegas to Death Valley in winter? Will we come across snow?

NH87,
    How long a stop do we need to make at Joshua Tree? Is it different from Mohave National Preserve? Which one is better?

Also, we plan to camp in all the national/state parks. Cosy motel accomodation only for Vegas, San Diego, etc.

Just came across this; Is catalina a good option at this time? Maybe a day there?

thanks for the responses,
    Cool.

Default High Season in Death Valley

Quote Originally Posted by cool
    Camping at Death valley would be fine with us, but will mother nature allow us?
    There are several hundred folks camping in Death Valley in December and January each year.
    How is the road from Vegas to Death Valley in winter? Will we come across snow?
    You will be crossing a desert.... It doesn't rain (or snow) that much in winter. There is a chance of ice on the pass (at Mtn. Springs Summit) and some pretty views.

This photo was taken on a dirt road about 1/2 from the Mtn Springs area a couple of years ago. More about Las Vegas weather here.

When you go to the Mojave National Preserve -- try and arrange a sunset visit. It is awesome. Here is a report from one of our treks to the Kelso Dunes.
    Last edited by Mark Sedenquist; 11-21-2005 at 11:57 PM. Reason: Added a link

Default sounds fun

Thanks a lot.
    Will start working on our itenary very soon.

Cool

9. Default

There are some great parks near L.A- Los Padres National Forest. If you consider near Fresno as So Cal, there's the Sequoia National park, with the tall trees. Along the coast near San Luis Obispo is Hearst San Simeon park, with the beautiful castle. I think well worth the visit. The Salton Sea east of San Diego is an interesting place. In the summer, I think it's too hot, but now should be nice.

I hope some of this helps.

Enjoy your trip.

Salton Sea was on my mind. Rest all, I think we've covered.

thanks for the thought.

Cool