Thread: southern CA

Default southern CA

Me and my husband plan to visit Southern CA for the thanksgiving weekend(from Bay area).
    Sea world, Universal Studios are in the itenary. Instead of Disney land, I would want to add 2 days of hiking & camping in a SP or NP around that area[Disney might be our xmas vacation target].Would it be feasible or am I asking for too much in too little time?
    Any suggestions?
    Also, how cold can a Southern CA SP/NP get @ night during that time?

thanks in advance,
    Cool

Default End of traditional fire season

How cold can a Southern CA SP/NP get @ night during that time?
    Cool,
    In a normal year, Thanksgiving weekend signifies the end of the southern California fire season by raining. If you are at Anza Borrego or Joshua National Park that weekend, you could see temps as low as freezing or as high as the lower 60's. But this year is anyone's guess.
    Me and my husband plan to visit Southern CA for the thanksgiving weekend Sea world, Universal Studios are on the schedule.
    Wait a moment, Sea World is in San Diego and Universal Studios is in Hollywood AND you still want to do two days of hiking? And you are going to do all of this in four days with a return home? Sea World is a full day and Universal Studios certainly could be and the drive back and forth to the Bay area requires a full day -- so I am not sure how you can find two extra days for hiking. Maybe I am missing something here?

Mark

Default mmm

Mark,
    I thought we could accomodate driving on the previous day afternoon, but I think 101 and I5 will be packed with cars... :(
    The reason I wanted to do the NP's in Nov is that they would be too cold for xmas vacation.
    In any case 2 days hiking would not be possible I guess.
    Now I have 2 options.
    option 1: LA(Hollywood, Disney), San Diego(Sea world)
    option 2: Hollywood, Joshua tree NP/Anza Borrego SP.

Is there any "off-beaten(related to nature/hiking/sight seeing)" place near LA that is worth seeing?
    Correct me if I am wrong; Anza Borrego is the place that has slot canyons in CA, rt?
    How abt flash floods then??

Death Valley was in my mind, but looks like last yrs flash flood took away most of the very little 2wd roads.

Also, there is always a problem with winter. With a 2wd where can we go for a 4 day vacation during xmas eve(keeping in mind the snow). Vegas is already out of the list.

any suggestions welcome.
    thanks in advance.
    Cool