kissanci Guest

Default Colorado in March

I'm planning--well, trying to plan--a honeymoon. What i'm looking for is a place to go in Colorado in the middle of March. I haven't been at that time of year, so I don't know what is avaliable attraction-wise as far as the weather is concerned. I'm looking for something with lots of pretty scenery, lots of attractions, but is relatively cheap. It doesnt really matter what part of the state it is. My main concern is what places will and will not be open for travel. I don't want to make plans and find out later that the plans cannot be carried through. Please help me find something that is romantic and weather-permiting. Thanks! -K

Default Colorado National Monument

Quote Originally Posted by kissanci
    I'm planning--well, trying to plan--a honeymoon. What i'm looking for is a place to go in Colorado in the middle of March... It doesnt really matter what part of the state it is. My main concern is what places will and will not be open for travel. I don't want to make plans and find out later that the plans cannot be carried through. Please help me find something that is romantic and weather-permiting. Thanks! -K
    I would stay at one of the B&Bs in the Grand Junction area (west slope of the Rockies) and explore the monument -- lots of scenery and fun things to do.

kissanci Guest

What about the ski resorts, are they open in March? And if so, which ones are the best to go to, and which ones are the easiest to get to from the weather. Grand Junction sounds good. Thats where my family usually goes. I'm trying to keep a lot of options open for consideration.

Default Skiing in Colorado

Here's a source with thumbnail descriptions of Colorado's ski resorts, their amenities and typical seasons.

AZBuck

Default Tall order

Kissanci -

Inexpensive, lots to do, and "open" (I assume you mean "roads open") in March in Colorado is a tall order! Often snow still graces the Rockies into May! We couldn't traverse Rocky Mountain NP in mid-May a few years ago!

Maybe Mesa Verde National Park in southern Co and nearby Durango? Still in the high elevations, but it might work. You could also dip down and see some of the great sights in Northern Az - ending up in Flagstaff - a great "Route 66" town.

There is a great old hotel in Estes Park, the Stanley, at the edge of Rocky Mountain NP - access from Ft. Collins - a fun college town. That hotel would be quite romantic, and my recall is that it isn't super spendy.

Have a wonderful time and let us know what you decide.

Carol White
    Live Your Road Trip Dream

All of the ski resorts are open in March for spring skiing. There are many resorts off of I-70 between Denver and Grand Junction. Summit county, Breckenridge, Copper Mtn, Vail, Beaver Creek and Aspen a bit south. I-70 is normally OK for travel with an occasional closing over the passes. You can fly in near the resorts but that's iffy weather wise.
    March is usually warm and pleasant.

Default long since past

Thanks for the information, although the date on this thread is 2005 - so I think its safe to assume that this trip has already taken place and its pretty unlikely that the original poster is coming back here.