Ania Guest

In September my friends and I are going on a trip from Kansas City to San Francisco. Part of the trip will go through Denver - Colorado Springs to Grand Canyon. Between Colorado Springs and the Grand Canyon we would like to have one stop over. I was thinking that an interesting place to visit would be Mesa Verde. Has anybody ever been there, is it a good place to see? How is it to drive h-wy 160 from Walsenburg, Co to Durango or Cortez, Co? I've heard that this rout can be very windy and not too nice to drive. Would it be better, on the way from Colorado Springs, to take h-wy 50 west from Pueble, co to h-wy 285, and drive 160 for a shorter part?
    Any suggestions?
    Would it be better, on the way from Colorado Springs, to take h-wy 50 west from Pueble, co to h-wy 285, and drive 160 for a shorter part?

Any suggestions?

2. Default Mesa Verde and southern Colorado

You'll find Mesa Verde National Park to be a very interesting place. As far as driving on US160, it is a great highway, through beautiful Rocky Mountain scenery. It is a mountain route, not flat, but that's its main attraction. It's a good road, wide and safe, so don't worry about driving it. It's not a super highway, so you have to allow more time, but it is well worth it.

Be sure to take some time out to explore Pagosa Springs and Durango, two very fun towns. In Durango, you can stay at the historic Strater Hotel (downtown) and try to ride the steam train to Silverton at LEAST one-way -- it's a half-day trip and then you can get a motorcoach back to Durango in the afternoon (the train ride back to Durango over the same route gets a bit tedious). Also around Durango, you might try renting some mountain bikes or do some whitewater rafting on the Animas River. Bob

Ania Guest

That really sounds great. Unfortunately we will have only one and a half day for the trip between Colorado Springs and Durango. I will try to make it as interesting as the time allows.
    Thanks again for your advices!

Ania