groovyuv Guest

Default moving from NYC to san diego nov1st!!!

Hi all!

I'm driving from nyc to san diego. This will be my first cross country trip!! I'm trying to recruit my friends as wingmen, but it looks like I'll be driving solo. I'm just looking for advice- i.e. spots not to be missed, hints on saving money, etc. etc. I would like to get there as quickly as possible, but am willing to stop to see a few big sites. I'm thinking of just sleeping in my car but concerned about safety. Any advice, hints, etc. would be appreciated!!!
    thanks
    Hope

Default (Almost) Anything is Possible

Welcome aboard the RoadTrip America forum!

For some quick ideas on what's available along your basic route, check out the similar threads at the bottom of this page, and for tips on travelling on a small budget, be sure to read Bob and Gen's Art of the Cheap Road Trip.

I'd count on at least 5 days to get across country, particularly if you're alone. But that would leave almost no time to see anything except through the windshield. If you could possibly add a day or two more, then you can really enjoy some of the amazing sights this country has to offer. What you want to see is really up to you and your particular tastes, but on a full transcontinental trip like this you should be able to get to many places without too much of a detour

AZBuck

Welcome to the forum! You're gonna have a great time crossing the country. What fun!

What route are you planning on taking and what types of things are you interested in seeing/doing? This will help us come up with recommendations.

Gen sleeps in her car at truck stops. Read the article AZBuck recommended.

The easiest way to save money is eating out of your cooler. Stock up on drinks, fruit, cheese, crackers, and other healthy snacks at grocery stores and avoid wasting money at fastfood places and other restaurants. You can also take some simple items like can opener, plastic utensils, paper bowls/plates so you can easily make sandwiches, have a bowl of cereal, whatever. You'll likely feel better and it will save you time and money.

For safety, make sure you have a cellphone. A member in AAA eases my mind when traveling. Make sure you have your car checked prior to leaving so that it's in top running order. Include a tire check in this. Have a good spare, jack, and other basic tools. Know how to check your oil and your tire pressure. And carry basic safety items in case you end up by the side of the road for awhile waiting for assistance if your car does break down. Always make sure you have water with you for hydration. A blanket, 1st aid kit, flashlight with extra batteries are just a few of the items you'll want to be sure and carry.

Roadtripping is safe in this country whether you're in a group or driving solo. Just use good common sense.

Have a great trip!

4. Default Some ideas for stops

Once you plan your route (I-80 to Ohio, then I-70 to I-44 and I-40?), then run some searches for things to do in the cities along the way -- you can pull up ideas by searching for the name of the city and "attractions." (for example). You might try Carillon Historical Park in Dayton, OH; Brown County, Indiana (rustic countryside and towns, crafts, bluegrass music, etc); St Louis's Gateway Arch and Westward Expansion Museum; the National Memorial in Oklahoma City, etc.

Farther west, there's a million major attractions -- Petrified Forest, Grand Canyon, Sedona, etc. If you let us know how much time you have and what your specific interests are, we can suggest some additional options. Bob