mb4q Guest

Default best route Cary NC to Dallas after Katrina?

I'm not an experienced road warrior but will be heading from Cary NC to Dallas (and then on to Phx) in the next week....my big travel plan was to mapquest my departure address to where I'm staying in Dallas (yes, pretty desperately basic approach). I'm a little concerned that mapquests proposed (and only route) sends me along I20 which looks to be roughly Birmingham AL through Jackson Miss, then Shreveport LA before Dallas.

In light of the displaced coastal populations (and their need for gas etc) I'm a little worried that this may be a poor route given the post Katrina timing. Are there any folks out there who may know the conditions of I20 (hows the gas/pricing?) or if someone has a better suggestion (through Little Rock perhaps?)

thanks for any suggestions you may have, mb

Default I would use I-40

Quote Originally Posted by mb4q
    In light of the displaced coastal populations (and their need for gas etc) I'm a little worried that this may be a poor route given the post Katrina timing. Are there any folks out there who may know the conditions of I20 (hows the gas/pricing?) or if someone has a better suggestion (through Little Rock perhaps?)
    MB,
    Yes, I would suggest using I-40 and stay to the north as you are able. It is about 1200 miles from Cary to Dallas on I-40.

Mark

Default I-20 through LA is fine

The price of gas in Shreveport is around 2.89 for regular unleaded. I traveled on I-20 from Shreveport to Marshall, TX about 2 weeks ago with no trouble. Within Shreveport, however, is a nightmare with all the added traffic and people who don't know where they are going. The only gas stations that have run out of gas here are the Circle K's, but that's because they only have 1 refinery that is located in Lake Charles, but it should be back up within a week or two.

Laura