sbaguru Guest

Default NY to CA in less than 2 days solo

I wanted to prepare for doing next years one lap of America so when I found a 2005 Cadillac Escalade ESV on Ebay in NY I bought it, flew out Thursday, bought the car Friday Morning, left Mohopac, NY at 10:40 local time and drove solo to Orange County, CA with an elapsed time of 37:30 for a total of 2851 miles. Never drove over 95 mph. No tickets, made 8 stops totaling 2 hours of time getting gas, food, bathroom breaks. Had one construction deture and being a weekend did not encounter any significant traffic and the weather was perfect. Just one cup of coffee and a coke during the night and I never even got tired. I have done some endourance running in the past and have run 100 miles in a 24 hour period. The goal was to drive safe and a good average speed without any aggressive driving. No weaving in and out of traffic, etc. I exceeded the speed limit but ussually only 10 to 15 mph and the road was clear. The escalade has great seats and drives great. Satelite radio and a navigation system were a great part in making the trip fun. The radar detector did'nt hurt either. Valentine one makes a great product.

One thing that I learned is that the rest of the U.S. has by far the best roads. Smooth wide well engineered roads everywhere but California where the roads are bumpy, beaten up, poorly patched and just poorly engineered compared to everywhere else. Utah was probably the prettiest state, amazing canyons, but other than St. George, I don't think I saw any people in 500 miles.

Andy

Default Glad you made it

Quote Originally Posted by sbaguru
    The goal was to drive safe and a good average speed without any aggressive driving. No weaving in and out of traffic, etc. I exceeded the speed limit but ussually only 10 to 15 mph and the road was clear. The escalade has great seats and drives great. Satelite radio and a navigation system were a great part in making the trip fun. The radar detector did'nt hurt either.
    Andy,

I still think you pushed the envelope a bit. But appreciate the field report. I hope you can get some good sleep now.

Mark

I'm amazed at your endurance, Andy. But since I have trouble running a mile, much less 100 miles, I'm not surprised your endurance far exceeds mine. Wow.

I agree with our dear Editor, while I tend to have a bit of a leadfood, it sounds like you might sped a bit more than safe. I hope you were doing this on clean, dry roads with little traffic.

Again....wish I had your endurance. Guess I better hit the road (with my shoes instead of my wheels).

Québec, Montreal, Arizona, California, France

Default Whew

Wow,
    and I thought I was a tough driver...What can I say, I'm speechless:o) But as much as I admire your endurance, I have to concur with Mark, I think you pushed your luck a little bit.

Drive safe! cheers!
    Gen

Congratulations! I firmly believe that run can be accomplished in under thirty-two hours; I think the current recognized mark is 32:51. Enjoy the One Lap!