1. Default can my car take this trip???

Im planning a 3 weeks 1 way cross country trip from New Jersey to California and then up to Vancouver. I drive a 1995 Ford Explorer Sport with 125,000 miles on it. Its always been regularly serviced and runs good. Do you think such a car is capable of making such an enourmous roadtrip or should I look elsewhere for transportation?

Default Only your mechanic knows for sure

Quote Originally Posted by bardz2003
    Im planning a 3 weeks 1 way cross country trip from New Jersey to California and then up to Vancouver. I drive a 1995 Ford Explorer Sport with 125,000 miles on it. Its always been regularly serviced and runs good. Do you think such a car is capable of making such an enourmous roadtrip or should I look elsewhere for transportation?
    125,000 miles is not really all that much -- if the car is in good condition it should be fine.

Mark

Like Mark said, it's not so much the mileage as it is the condition of the vehicle. There are 100,000 mile vehicles I wouldn't think twice about taking on a trip like this. Similarly, there are brand-new or low-mileage vehicles I would be very scared of taking this distance (we just traded in one of them in April!)

Personally, I'm more afraid of road debris than mechanical breakdown. Every hit a piece of aluminum siding at 65mph? It'll make you leery for quite awhile!

I agree with the other posters here. You've stated the car runs good. Just make sure you get an oil/filter change, check the other fluids, check the hoses, and make sure your tires are in good shape before you leave. Know how to check your oil and your tire pressure while on the road. If it's a good running car, these basics should keep it running well on your trip. Of course, that's no guarantee. Any car can suffer a breakdown, even a new one. That's why I have AAA. Have fun!