Firstly, what an incredible site! Very pleased to stumble across this on Google... Hope you guys can help me fine-tune this honeymoon trip I'm planning.
We have 15 nights to do this in. I know it's going to be a push but I think it is just about workable - let me know your views.
We are getting married on 29th August 2005 and want to leave the UK a couple of days later to begin the trip. So less than two months away. I really need to get some flights and some of the hotels booked ASAP. Last time I went to the US with a friend, we came across a book of vouchers at the car hire place and used these to pick up cheap accommodation along our route - are these voucher books common?
Anyway, here's the idea:
- Fly from Manchester, UK to NYC. Stay 2 or 3 nights
- Fly to Vegas. Stay 2 nights.
- Pick up car and drive to Grand Canyon early in the morning. Spend the day here and stay the night and watch the sun come up in the morning.
- Drive to the Meteor Crater near Flagstaff, then drive on to Phoenix. Stay here for one night.
- Leave Phoenix and head to L.A. - possibly via Palm Springs? Maybe stay the night half way there.
- Spend the night in L.A. and cruise around Hollywood, etc.
- Drive along the coastline to San Francisco - attempt the whole trip in one day or stop the night somewhere midway?
- Spend the night in San Francisco
- Drive to Yosemite National Park and stay the night (I know this is one place where I'll need to book accommodation in advance - ASAP right?
- Drive through Death Valley to Vegas to catch flight to NYC and then home to Manchester, UK
I would be extremely grateful for any opinions, advice, recommendations, etc.
Bearing in mind the limited time we have to do this trip, is the Vegas to Vegas road trip the quickest way to do the places I have mentioned, in one big loop? Would it be better to go from Vegas and end at San Francisco (with a short detour to Yosemite and back again) and fly from San Francisco back to NYC for our connecting flight back home? Or maybe fly from NYC to L.A. and start our road trip there, with Vegas as the end point?
Any suggestions greatly appreciated! We are running out of time fast.