Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    tackytraveler Guest

Default In search of unusual lodging - Help!

Hello fellow travelers,

I'm wondering if I could get your help. I'm in search of unique and unusual hotels, motels, cabins, etc that people have discovered on the road. Unfortuantely, doing a random search online didn't bring up too many options. Many times these are mom and pop places that it's difficult to find out about unless you've come across it driving or have heard about it through the grapevine. I'm not concerned about location, I'd just like to hear about places people have found. For example, in Lancaster PA you can sleep in a hotel that is shaped like a steamboat and in Strasburg PA you can sleep in a cabose. I've also heard of treehouse lodging, lighthouse lodging and nice neon motels exist.

Any suggestions would be great! Let me know if you've come across an offbeat place to stay overnight.

Thanks so much!

Some places to check out that might point you in the right direction:
    www.roadsideamerica.com, www.roadsidepeek.com, www.eccentricamerica.net, and www.gethep.net/road/

www.HotelAmericana.com has lots of neat places listed but I'm not sure that they're all still open.

I know this isn't all exactly what you were hoping for but I hope it will help. If someone knows of a website that collects this information, I hope they share it here because I'd love to know about this stuff, too!

Québec, Montreal, Arizona, California, France

Default A few suggestions

There's actually a book that includes a directory of unusual lodging in the American SW :
    http://www.bellaonline.com/ebooks/ebook79

You could check out a few of these:
    The Ice Hotel near Quebec City (Ste-Catherine-de-la-Jacques-Cartier), QC
    Dog Bark Park Inn, Cottonwood, ID
    Karell Double K Ranch (cabooses), Tucson, AZ;
    Jules Undersea Lodge, Key Largo, FL
    Tree House Cottages, Eureka Springs, AR
    Ottawa Jail Hostel, ON, they converted an old prison into a hostel. I know the hostel once offered (maybe they still do)a free night's accomodation to anyone who could last an entire night in death row. There's a website called Unusual Hotels of the World.

The most exotic motel I stayed at was the Crazy Jug Motel in Fredonia, AZ, it is not as spectacular as an ice hotel or a dog shaped cabin but it's very "western". If you like neon, get your kicks on old route 66, you'll find plenty of neon signs and colorful motels.

I'm also very interested in finding unusual places so if you find something really special, keep us updated!

Gen
    Last edited by Mark Sedenquist; 06-04-2006 at 09:04 AM. Reason: format

4. Default Out west

Tucumcari, on old 66 in New Mexico has quite a few of the old motor court style motels left. In Arizona, check out the Shady Dell Travel Trailer Motel in Bisbee. Also the Wigwam Motel on I-40 near Holbrook AZ.

Gen, that website is amazing. And it was fun to see how many of these unusual spots aren't that far from me. Wish I could do a roadtrip just to check all of these places out. I so want to stay in the Jules Verne underwater hotel in Key West. Wouldn't that be a cool experience? Although a part of me is also conjuring up images of deep-sea monsters slithering around just waiting for me to drop my guard. Or like those intelligent man-eating sharks in some stupid movie I saw. Maybe I'm too chicken to sleep there. You think they'll just let me take a quick visit in the daylight?

Thanks for sharing this info.

Default Rendezvous?

Judy,
    We could arrange a rendezvous at one of these locations some day. I'm sure Bob would like to stay at the Ice Hotel... We'll see if he still likes the cold and snow after that!:-)lol Personally, I'd prefer the Jules at Key Largo, I tried winter camping once and that was enough for me!! brrr The rates at the Ice Hotel are pretty expensive (595$CAD/night double occ) but you can visit the place for 14$CAD. I'll go there next winter and take a few pictures!

Gen

7. Default It's OK with me!

I'll stay in the Ice Hotel as long as they let me bring my fur pillow! Cold is GOOD! :) Bob

I have witnessed a Wigwam Motel (not my pics/page) on US-31 in Cave City, KY.

In WV, there is a railroad that will put you up in a caboose, give you a train ride to a secluded location, unhitch you for the night, then come back the next day to pick you up. The name of the rail escapes me right now, but I think I posted it a while back.

9. Default Not surprisingly...

It's amazing, the wealth of information Mark and Megan have accumulated right here on RTA. Tonight, I discovered this link -- that fits right into this theme and request! I should've known! Check it out for some unique and classic motels for all the states. Bob

Default Motel Americana

Tonight, I discovered this link -- that fits right into this theme and request!
    Wow, cool site! I'm really into these old motels and neon signs. Thanks for sharing!

Gen:-)