1. Default Las Vegas to Arches National park

Hello,

I and my wife are planning to drive from Las Vegas to Moab to visit arches national park. Both of us can drive. If any of you have done this before, could you please let us know how long will it take realistically. How is the terrain on I-70 as it crosses the rocky mountain range.

Thanks in advance,
    Manjunath

2. Default Easy driving!

From Las Vegas to Moab can all be done mostely on Interstate so it's easy driving. You don't really go though any mountain passes except for a small one in Nevada though the Virgin River Gorge. 460 miles and 6 to 6 1/2 hours of driving time. This is one way and I would not advise trying to do this as a one day trip.

Between Fremont Junction, Utah and Green River, Utah you will be traveling though the San Rafael Swell area. Please don't drive this after dark. It's really beautiful scenery!

If you didn't have to make it in one day, I'd suggest taking the back roads of Hwy 9 though Zion National Park, at Mt. Carmel Jct take Hwy 89 north and then Hwy 12 right by Bryce National Park, though Escalante-Grand Staircase National Monument, over the Boulder Mountains to Torrey. From Torrey head east on Hwy 24 right though Capitol Reef National Park and up to I-70. 520 miles and 11 1/2 to 12 hours of driving...of course you wouldn't want to do ANY of it after dark!

Utahtea

Default Green River is a nice mid-point

I and my wife are planning to drive from Las Vegas to Moab to visit arches national park. Both of us can drive. If any of you have done this before,
    I did it yesterday. Everything Utahtea recommends is great info. I would add that a very reasonable day is to drive from LV to Green River, Utah and then you will be getting to Arches in daylight. We left the office in Las Vegas about 11 am and reached Green River about 6:00 pm (I would recommend stopping at each of the six view points in the San Rafael Swell, but if you only have time for one. Stop at the Spotted Wolf Viewpoint. Walk out the hogback ridge -- look at the highway! One of the most amazing views in Utah. Trust me

Mark

Default Deadhorse point

If you are visiting Moab, make time to go to Deadhorse Point state park just outside canyonlands. The picture on this page does not really do the view justice but it does give you an idea of what its like.

http://www.uk-2-usa.com/Utah/canyonlands.html

I have not seen the view Mark recommends, but if its better than this it must be one hell of a view !