Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Default More information on best route...

I'm currrently trying to plan a 16 day road trip from Phoenix to LA - via the Grand Canyon, Vegas, and San Francisco. It's all very exciting, but the bundles of information make it a tad daunting.

As usual with these trips, I want to see as much as possible but without rushing around. :)

I had a scan through the forums here, and the information seems incredibly useful - so I thought I might hijack a couple of the threads... Nice work, guys!

So... the first day of the trip was going to be Phoenix to Flagstaff (and maybe move near to the Canyon for a nightcap).

I'm trying to plan the most scenic route up to Flagstaff, and want to minimise double-backing down the same road. I was planning the following:

I17 out of Phoenix
    69 across to Prescott
    89 - 89A through Jerome to Sedona
    179 down to Montezuma

Then it gets a bit difficult... Do I just hit I17 up to Flagstaff, or do I double back up 179 and then back onto 89A?

Also... I assume I'm not missing a great deal by not following I17 between the 69 turn off and Montezuma?

Any thoughts on absolute essentials for this part of the trip?

Default When is this trip going to happen?

Quote Originally Posted by chris.wiss
    I'm currrently trying to plan a 16 day road trip from Phoenix to LA - via the Grand Canyon, Vegas, and San Francisco.
    Welcome to the Great American RoadTrip Forum! When are you planning to embark on this trip?

Mark

Sorry... Just a few more questions.

What is the best route from Flagstaff to the Grand Canyon - assuming that I am likely to leave the Grand Canyon going East towards Monument Valley?

I vageuly remember reading a post on this forum that recommended:

180 > 64 rather than I40 > 64

But, that might have just been my imagination.

Also.. does anyone have any experiences or recommendations of where to stay for the night, with the intention of moving onto the Grand Canyon in the morning? Williams? Flagstaff? or Tusayan? I don't mind spending a bit of extra money if it's really worth it. I'd prefer somewhere authentic and friendly.

Thanks again for all the information...

(Sorry... just realised this should have probably gone in a different topic, but the thread seemed more relevant)

Default Some ideas

Editor's Note: I moved these posts from their original placement on the Spring Forum.

I'm trying to plan the most scenic route up to Flagstaff, and want to minimise double-backing down the same road. I was planning the following: I-17 out of Phoenix
    69 across to Prescott
    Well, if you are looking for a scenic trip, I might suggest AZ-260 up to Cottonwood (Prescott, while pretty is full of traffic these days).
    89 - 89A through Jerome to Sedona
    Nice road -- spend some time in Jerome.
    179 down to Montezuma
    yeah, if you want to zig-zag, I would just stay on 89A and head up to Sedona and up to Flagstaff.
    Also... I assume I'm not missing a great deal by not following I17 between the 69 turn off and Montezuma?
    Both are scenic routes -- I-17 is much faster.

Mark

Default Take the loop road!

What is the best route from Flagstaff to the Grand Canyon - assuming that I am likely to leave the Grand Canyon going East towards Monument Valley?
    I would take US-180 to AZ-64 to the south rim and then follow it over to Cameron (make sure you check out this historic trading post!)
    I vageuly remember reading a post on this forum that recommended:180 > 64 rather than I40 > 64
    I think that was US-180 .
    Also.. does anyone have any experiences or recommendations of where to stay for the night, with the intention of moving onto the Grand Canyon in the morning? Williams? Flagstaff? or Tusayan?
    Somebody must be confused -- maybe it is just me. I thought you were planning on going to the Grand Canyon after Flagstaff and before the Monument Valley phase???

Where do you go next?

Mark

6. Default Phoenix to Flagstaff area to GC to Monument Valley??

Hmm.. if I'm deciphering this correctly...

Phoenix to Flagstaff (potentially via Montezuma's Castle and Sedona area)

Then from Flagstaff through Grand Canyon

And thence North-Easterly to Monument Valley

Is that right?

For lodging in the area, the largest selection is in Flagstaff. From there to the western entrance to the Grand Canyon is about 90 minutes.

I've stayed in Williams and driven up to Grand Canyon Village -- there are some reasonable hotels in Williams, and there's a bit of Route 66 displays and memorabilia there as well (as there is in Flagstaff).

There's also a reasonable amount of lodging at Tusayan, but I recall it was somewhat more expensive than Williams or Flagstaff -- but I have no direct experience with it.

Once you've visited at Grand Canyon Village area, its a very nice drive East along the south rim of the GC to come out near Cameron. There are several good vista points over the Grand Canyon, as well as the replica Indian Watch Tower at Desert View at which I've stopped for different perspectives on the canyon.

There are several "trading posts" near Cameron, some which are operated by the Navajo Nation and others (such as the one at Cameron) which are privately operated, and some which have long histories as Trading Posts (Cameron for example). Of course, if you're heading into the Navajo Nation by heading to Monument Valley, these will not be unique.
    Last edited by Quebec Gen; 07-25-2006 at 07:15 AM. Reason: fixed typo

Quote Originally Posted by Editor
    yeah, if you want to zig-zag, I would just stay on 89A and head up to Sedona and up to Flagstaff.Both are scenic routes -- I-17 is much faster.

Mark
    Unfortunately I wanted to call in at Montezuma & Sedona & Jerome... so that looked the most sensible route. I guess I'll just have to double back.

Somebody must be confused -- maybe it is just me. I thought you were planning on going to the Grand Canyon after Flagstaff and before the Monument Valley phase???

Where do you go next?

Mark
    I'm probably not being clear enough... to clarify...

I ideally want to do:

Phoenix to Flagstaff (taking in Sedona, Jerome, Montezuma)
    Then Flagstaff to Grand Canyon

After that it gets a bit difficult. Ideally I'd like to go to Monument Valley, then the Utah Parks, and then onto Vegas - but I'm not sure if that is doing too much?

I don't really want to be spending more than 3 days travelling between the Grand Canyon and Vegas (as I still have to do Death Valley, Yosemite, and San Francisco). But, I don't just want to drive up to Monument Valley, and then back down the same road - and friends have told me that Monument Valley is a 'must see'. Soooo... I figured I'd go passed Monument Valley, then head North passed Lake Powell, and then loop back west through the Utah Parks. Any thoughts or help on this part of the trip would be fantastic.

Apologies if it's still a bit confusing.

Default OK, I think we got it now....

Phoenix to Flagstaff (taking in Sedona, Jerome, Montezuma) Then Flagstaff to Grand Canyon Ideally I'd like to go to Monument Valley, then the Utah Parks, and then onto Vegas - but I'm not sure if that is doing too much?
    No, it is very doable, and it was the route I laid out orginally, so I will re-do it here now with a couple of variations:

Phoenix > I-17 to Exit 289 (visit Montezuma Castle National Monument) > County Highway 119 to Cornville (great restaurant here by the way) > County road 30 to AZ-89A and go visit Jerome > a short retracing of the route back along AZ-89A takes you up to Sedona (go to the Chapel on the hill for the photos) > Proceed north on AZ-89A to Flagstaff. (Great collection of roadside Murals in town)

From Flagstaff > US-180 to Valle where you will join AZ-64 to the South Rim of the Grand Canyon (Check out the south rim)

Proceed east on AZ-64 to US-89 (near Cameron) > North on US-89 > East on US-160 > to Kayenta (if you like shopping for western art and jewelery -- this is a book you must get) and then north on US-163 into Monument Valley. If you have time go to the crossroads with Navajo-Hwy-42 and turn right (southeast) and visit the Monument Valley Navajo Tribal Park.

Go back to US-163 and proceed north > UT-261 to UT-95 and proceed northwest crossing the world-famous bridge over Cataract Canyon to Hanksville. > Turn west on UT-24 and follow it through Capitol Reef National Park and then south > on UT-62 to US-89 and follow that south to turn-offs for Bryce and Zion and then on down I-15 to Las Vegas and beyond.

Mark

Okay... that is absolutely fantastic. Just a few more questions. :) Then I'll stop with the pestering (until the next leg that is).

Phoenix > I-17 to Exit 289 (visit Montezuma Castle National Monument) > County Highway 119 to Cornville (great restaurant here by the way) > County road 30 to AZ-89A and go visit Jerome > a short retracing of the route back along AZ-89A takes you up to Sedona (go to the Chapel on the hill for the photos) > Proceed north on AZ-89A to Flagstaff. (Great collection of roadside Murals in town)
    That all sounds good - except that some of the smaller roads (e.g. Cornville) are not marked that clearly on any of the 'paper' maps I've got - I can see the route just fine online. Just as an aside - would you recommend getting detailed roadmap books of the various states? I've got a Road Atlas by American Map that is pretty good - but 1inch to 26 miles doesn't sound too promising for actual navigation?

Go back to US-163 and proceed north > UT-261 to UT-95 and proceed northwest crossing the world-famous bridge over Cataract Canyon to Hanksville. > Turn west on UT-24 and follow it through Capitol Reef National Park and then south > on UT-62 to US-89 and follow that south to turn-offs for Bryce and Zion and then on down I-15 to Las Vegas and beyond.
    That all looks good too... Just the one query - I've read that UT-12 is supposed to be spectacular. Would this be much different to 24 > 62 > 89? Just looking on the map, it looks to be a bit more zigzaggy but a tad shorter. Obviously its a bit difficult to tell from just paper. :)

Now the tricky bit... Assuming I start off on the morning from Flagstaff, I'm intending on leaving 3 full days for this trip (maybe 4 at a push). I don't mind too much arriving in Vegas in the evening. Is there any sort of breakdown you would recommend?

It's a bit difficult to tell from the map which towns will have 'welcoming' hotels.

What are the must-see bits of this section? I'm guessing:

Grand Canyon (obviously)
    Monument Valley
    Cataract Canyon Bridge
    Bryce
    Zion

I know it's probably a bit too much detail. But, some pointers would be a big help.

Thanks again!