1. Default Planning a road trip across America.

Hey guys,

I am not so experienced newbie so I'm going to need some help from you folks.
    There are two of us, realizing that this can be our last summer so we plan to take on America- the whole journey.

We are starting off at Los Angles, CA and trying to get to NY and come back. Anybody know a good route, possibly a scenic one, that we can access in maybe more or less a week with around 1000-1200$ budget?

I know it may be grueling but we would like to do it for the sake of memories.

Thanks in advance,

Sean

Default The Sad Truth

Welcome aboard the RoadTrip America forum, Sean, but I'm afraid a trip with the parameters you have laid out is simply impossible. A round trip coast-to-coast (and back) is at least 6000 miles, will take a minimum of 10 days if you do nothing but drive 14 hours a day, and will use your entire budget just for gas - no food or lodging. Your choice is between finding a shorter adventure or gathering up 4 to 5 times as much cash. There is a ton of stuff in the Southwest to see that can be done in your time frame and budget and will leave you memories rather than nightmares. You might start by using the search tool and looking through some of the threads on the Grand Canyon, Zion, Bryce, and Las Vegas for some ideas.

AZBuck

3. Default how about one-way?

Thanks AZBuck,

how about one-way though? Maybe we could drive there using a rental car and catch a flight back. It would be a meaningful trip for us traveling across the nation?

Default Roadtrip Reality

Sorry, but that's still not even close to possible with your budget.

A one way trip can be reasonably done in 7 days - although it leaves little to no time to explore along the way.

But a one way car rental and two one way plane tickets would blow your budget out of the water before you even hit the road - in fact, I would suspect those two things alone would cost MORE than the $1200 you have budgeted for.

As Buck said, You will need siginificantly more time and money to make this trip feasable.