1. Default Raleigh, NC to Austin, TX

My husband and I are planning a 3-days/2-nights (July 16th-18th) road trip from Raleigh, NC to Austin, TX .
    Can anyone suggest a scenic/camper-friendly route? and/or some interesting towns to hit?
    Need information on National parks, music scene, local festival/events, culturally interesting historic sites, or beautiful locations.

So far, I have thought of dividing the trip into two halves and have a stopover at Memphis/Nashville, TN. But I would love to know of more towns which have some history and/or interesting places that we can stop at.

Thanks
    Tina
    Last edited by longrun; 07-13-2006 at 10:08 AM.

Default Along the way

Welcome to the RTA Forum!

I've got a pretty limited amount of experience in this part of the country, but I can think of a few things that could be along the way.

Hot Springs N.P. in Arkansas is highly recommended - particualrly if you take time to get a "treatment."

Mammoth Cave in Kentucky wouldn't be directly on your way, but it would be a pretty easy detour, and of course the Smokey Mountains will likely be right on your way.

As far as history, every place has history, you just have to look for it. However, I'd be willing to bet you there are some excellent civil war sites along the way. Unfortuantly, I don't have any specifics for you in that regard.

Default An unfortunate update

Quote Originally Posted by Midwest Michael
    Hot Springs N.P. in Arkansas is highly recommended - particualrly if you take time to get a "treatment."
    I have tried to fix and catch all of those references, but the historic bath houses run by the NPS, with the 3rd and 4th generation "professional bathers" have been shut-down. It was really an amazing experience -- but that time is probably gone forever.

Mark

Default Between Raleigh and Austin

At a total distance of around 1400 miles, I think you'd be better served making two overnight stops rather than just one somewhere between Memphis and Nashville. Two approximately equally spaced stops would end up being in the Nashville area the first night and the Texarkana area the second. Both are surrounded by state parks and other camping venues as well as lower cost motel options. Certainly the Great Smoky Mountains National Park should be on your agenda as should Memphis. These pretty much dictate that you use I-40 and I-30 through North Carolina, Tennessee and Arkansas. Another stop you may want to consider in Arkansas, besides the already mentioned Hot Springs National Park, is Crater of Diamonds State Park outside Murfreesboro, AR. Once you get into Texas, you may want to consider slowing the pace down a bit and using US-259, US-84, and US-79 down to Austin (thus bypassing Dallas) with stops to take a pedal boat ride at Daingerfield State Park and/or a steam train ride at Texas State Railroad State Park outside Rusk, TX.

AZBuck

Default Why?

Quote Originally Posted by Editor
    I have tried to fix and catch all of those references, but the historic bath houses run by the NPS, with the 3rd and 4th generation "professional bathers" have been shut-down. It was really an amazing experience -- but that time is probably gone forever.

Mark
    What's the story here? Why have they been closed?

Default Economic Times

Quote Originally Posted by Midwest Michael
    What's the story here? Why have they been closed?
    The NPS appears to be leasing them

Default Congress Avenue Bridge

I haven't experienced it personally, but I understand that the bat colony living under the Congress Avenue Bridge in Austin is a sight to behold.

If you check it out let us know how it is. I'm going to Austin on July 29th (just a day trip) to see Stephanie Pearl McAphee(sp?) aka the Yarn Harlot speak at a local knitting shop there.

8. Default Thanks a lot

Thanks a lot everyone.
    The information about stuff to do in Arkansas really helped.
    We'll be driving through Smokies and spending a night and around half a day in Memphis. Next stop will be somewhere in Arkansas and we definitely plan to visit the Hot Springs NP and the Crater of Diamonds State Park.
    This forum and the entire site has been really useful in finding a lot of things I was looking for. Thanks again.

Default Let us know what you find out there!

Quote Originally Posted by longrun
    The information about stuff to do in Arkansas really helped.
    I would add, Eureka Springs -- that hotel is really fun. Because it was built on a hill -- there are five ground entrances (on five different levels). It is a fun town for entertainment as well. Arkansas is easily one of my favorite states -- so many beautiful state parks!

I hope you write again, after your trip and share with us what you discovered out there!

Mark