1. Default Delaware To Mississippi

I was wondering if people out there could give some advice to first time road trip. MSN, is saying to go I-95, to I-495 outter loop, to I-66, to I-81, to I-40, to I-75, to I-24, to I-59, to I-459, to I-20, to I-59. I am looking for fun little places that my wife and I should make the time to check out around this route, or if you know of a better route please post so I can check it out.

Default Down the Appalachians

Welcome aboard the RoadTrip America forum.

OK - It looks like you're headed from somewhere around Wilmington to somewhere around Hattiesburg. Depending on how you define "fun little places", these might be of interest. There area few caves worth exploring in northern Virgina, including Luray and Skyline. If history is more your thing, then be sure to stop by Monticello and/or Montpelier, outside Charlottesville, VA. For a great scenic, albeit a little slow, drive get on Skyline Drive through Shenandoah National Park and continue on down along the Blue Ridge Parkway. Alternatively, if you stick to I-81 but like small, quaint towns, look into places like Lexington. Farther south, there's Great Smoky Mountains National Park and the Civil War Battlefields of Chattanooga in Tennessee, as well as Marshall Space Flight Center in Huntsville, Alabama.

One other note. If you dread the thought of going down I-95 through Baltimore and Washington, or if you're starting out from somewhere significantly south of Wilmington, you might want to consider crossing over the Chesapeake Bay Bridge to Annapolis, staying on US-301 around DC, and then using VA-3 and VA-20 to get to the Charlottesville area and I-64 to I-81. Just a thought. [If your travel plans do include travel along the busy I-95 corridor -- check out this guide book, it will save you time and provide tips that the casual traveler will rarely find on their own!]

AZBuck
    Last edited by Mark Sedenquist; 03-08-2006 at 02:25 PM. Reason: fixed broken link