1. Default Boston to Oregon in April

Greetings folks, very nice forum you have here.

A friend is moving from Boston, and I've graciously offered to fly out and help her drive cross-country. :)

We have a rented minivan and 10 days, and we'd like to see as much as we can in the time allowed. So far on our list we have:
    Niagara Falls (our first stop from Boston)
    Mt. Rushmore (of course)
    Yellowstone.

I'm looking for suggested additional stops along the way, and suggested routing. For example, should we cut through Canada from Niagara to Detroit(or something?), or is it faster to just drive around the lake? What is the border crossing like in those parts? I've been across at Blaine and Pt. Angeles WA a hundred times, but never anywhere else. What would be the preferred highways?

Should we see the Badlands? Glacier(too early in the year?) Just spend all our extra time at Yellowstone? Anything worth seeing between Niagara and Rushmore? :)

Suggestions for web-based trip planners?

Thanks for your advice!

Default Web-based travel planners

Quote Originally Posted by tadc
    Greetings folks, very nice forum you have here
    . Welcome to the Great American RoadTrip Forum -- we are glad you found us.
    So far on our list we have: ...Mt. Rushmore (of course)
    You might enjoy reading this field report about South Dakota.
    Should we see the Badlands?
    I really love the badlands.
    Glacier(too early in the year?)
    The Going-to-the-Sun road will still be closed, and the park is often foggy this time of the year.
    Suggestions for web-based trip planners?
    We have been working on rolling out our own web-based planner for over three years, hopefully one of these days we will have some good news to report. In the meantime, here are our recommendations for free planners and some that are fee based.

Mark

3. Default

If I remember correctly Letchworth State Park is not that far out of the way from Niagra Falls. My family made a side trip there when we went to Niagra Falls from Toledo, OH. It's billed as the Grand Canyon of the east and makes for a good day-trip. If you're taking the turnpike across Ohio, you could stop near Sandusky and take the Jet Express to Put-in-Bay island, but that would take a full day. Just some ideas.

4. Default

i'm doing close to the same trip in reverse...ottawa canada to victoria BC through the US

there is virtually nothing to see in april between detroit and niagara falls on the canadian side, unless you plan on taking your time and leaving the main highway...niagara falls is always magnificent though

from what i've read during research, glacier park and yellowstone both are limited at that time of year due to road closures

i am planning a day in badlands national park...there are about 6 hiking trails in all levels of difficulty...consider the needles scenic drive or spearfish canyon scenic drive on your way there

i have read the bitterroot valley is a magnificent drive....highway 93 from missoula montana to salmon idaho

there is an awful lot to do and see in that stretch....if you have time, consider staying in the states to niagara falls, and then driving to the adirondacks for a day or two...saranac lake is nice, lake placid too, but a bit more commercial

you would also be surprised at how little time you lose if you swing a bit south and drive through utah, nebraska, etc...something to think about

please keep posting your findings as i may use what you find during my reverse trip

Québec, Montreal, Arizona, California, France

Default Border crossing & suggestions

What is the border crossing like in those parts?
    Fairly easy with the right documents both at Niagara and Detroit (i.e. : passport or driver's licence and birth certificate).

I'm looking for suggested additional stops along the way, and suggested routing.
    Ausable Chasm, NY
    Chicago, IL
    Starved Rock State Park, Utica, IL
    Oregon Trail Sites and Monuments, (Scottsbluff NM, CHimney Rock, Register Cliffs, etc.) NE, WY
    Union Pacific Railroad Museum, Council Bluffs, IA
    Western Historic Trails Museum, Council Bluffs, IA
    Great Platte River Road Archway Monument, Kearney, NE
    Corn Palace, Mitchell, SD
    Wall Drug, Wall, SD
    Wind Cave NP

Happy planning!
    Gen