At the end of August, I will be traveling from Washington, D.C. metro area to the San Francisco Bay area. To be specific, I'm leaving Sterling, VA and arriving in San Jose, CA. I'm looking for advice from fellow road trippers on the most efficient, quickest route to California. Here are some details/requirements for my trip:
- Plan to leave Sunday (Aug. 30) afternoon, or Monday (Aug. 31) morning.
- Need to arrive in San Jose preferably by Saturday (Sept. 5), but ok to arrive Sunday (Sept. 6) if needed.
- Unfortunately will not have a chance to sightsee - I know this is a shame but I am looking for the most efficient/quickest route to get to my destination.
- I will be driving my 2010 Ford Raptor and towing a flatbed car trailer.
- Traveling with my dog (a puggle), so I will need to stay at pet-friendly hotels.
- My research has shown that there are 3 major routes - I-40, I-80, and I-70. My goal is to get their efficiently and safely, so avoiding high traffic areas and strenuous mountain roads is preferred.
What are the recommendations from the RTA community? Should I consider the northern route to avoid the heat, or is the southern route a better option with less elevation changes? Please let me know if you have any questions about my trip to help make a more sound recommendation. Thanks in advance!