Default driving moving truck from Virginia to San Francisco - need advice

I will be driving with my sister-in-law as we move her from Virginia to SF. We will have a moving truck with a trailer for her car. We are leaving the first week in June.

I am looking for advice on the safest route for 2 women to make this trip. I was hoping to avoid anything too hilly that might overheat the truck and leave us stranded on the highway.

We have 7 days to make the trip and are hoping to catch a couple of sights along the way.

Any advice is appreciated.

Green County, Wisconsin

Welcome to the RTA Forum!

There is no route that is safer than any other, and really, as long as you are sticking to the interstates, there are no routes that would be even difficult for the moving truck.

Depending upon where in "Virginia" you are starting from, the fastest route would involve either I-80 or I-40. In any case, you're looking at 5-6 hard driving, so with a week that will give you some added opportunities for stops. If you've got something in mind already that you know you want to see, certainly that would play a roll in the "best" route.

Default Getting through the mountains

Hello house10,

As noted by Midwest Michael, your starting point within VA is key to which way is most direct. Departing from points north of Richmond leans towards working one's way up to I-80, and starting from points south, southeast, and southwest of Richmond makes heading over to I-40, possibly via I-81, a good route.

I find the urban congestion less of a hassle going out I-40, where after Nashville and Memphis, you're pretty much done with cities until reaching Albuquerque. You escape the worst of the mountains in VA and WV by heading for I-40, also. There is a bit of up and down in NM and AZ on I-40, and you do reach elevations of +7,000', but it's somewhat less dramatic than the sum of the WV mountains and a particular 100 mile segment of I-80 in Wyoming.