1. Default South Bend, IN to San Diego in June

My job is relocating me to San Diego and I will be making the trip with my wife and our 2 sons (1&4), we are thinking about taking I80 most of the way across. Anybody have any family friendly sites for us to hit along the way?

Joplin MO

The fastest way is I-80/I-76/I-70/I-15. How many days have you allotted for this trip? 4 days is only enough to make the trip, if you want to do any meaningful sightseeing you need to allow more days. The more time you can spare, the more wonderful things you can see and do.

3. Default

We are thinking right now to take approx 7 or 8 days to get out there. As to see some stuff along the way. I'm personally hoping to not get off that route you mentioned too much.

Joplin MO

You are going to have to prioritize, but here are my choices generally along that route:

Rocky Mountain National Park
    Moab (Arches, Canyonlands)
    Monument Valley
    Bryce Canyon
    Grand Canyon

The first 2 days are not really notable - you could make it to the Denver area with an overnight in eastern Nebraska. If you plan on going through RMNP, you could spend the second night in Loveland or Estes Park. Before committing to RMNP, check and see if Trail Ridge Road is open yet, use the site.

5. Default

Awesome, I appreciate the advice...Now my wife is thinking we should go south and take the mother road...Should be a fun and interesting trip to say the least.

Green County, Wisconsin

Default no longer

There's certainly nothing wrong with that, just make sure you understand that Route 66 hasn't officially existed for about 30 years now. Much of the road is in very poor condition or has simply been replaced by the Interstate. There are certainly still elements of the old road that are there, as are some of the businesses that made it tick, but its no where near the same experience it was decades ago.