1. Default South Bend to San Francisco

Thanks in advance for your advice! My wife and I are due to drive from South Bend to San Francisco over 7-8 days. We would like to take in Zion, Bryce, Mesa Verde and Monument Valley. Does anyone have any advice on how we should plan this?? We have hired and RV for the first time! Any suggestions or routes would be warmly received.

Tucson, AZ

Default Westwardly Weighted

Welcome aboard the RoadTrip America Forums!

It seems as though most of what you have in mind is in the west, so I'm going to assume that you plan to just cross the plains as rapidly as possible and spend what time you have seeing the scenic sights of the Rockies and southwest. That's all well and good, but I am curious why the Grand Canyon didn't make your list. Nevertheless, here's the route I'd suggest. Start out by taking I-80 west through Iowa and Nebraska, noting in western Nebraska that as it follows the Platte River, you are also following the route of the Oregon Trail. Then cut southwest toward Denver on I-76. You might want to pay a visit to Rocky Mountain National Park near Estes Park, but eventually you want to take US-285 southwest out of the Denver area to US-50 and then west through the Black Canyon of the Gunnison and then south on US-550, the Million Dollar Highway to Durango and Mesa Verde. From there US-160 will take you past the Four Corners area and US-191 will take you up to US-163 for your dive down through Monument Valley on US-163. Rejoin US-160 at Kayenta, continue southwest a bit, and then take AZ-98 up to Page and US-89. If you have time and would like to see the less visited north rim of the Canyon, go south from Page and take US-89A west through Marble Canyon and then take the only road into or out of the north rim, AZ-67, from Jacob Lake. After returning to this spot continue northwestward on 89A, rejoin US-89, and continue north to UT-12 which will take you to Bryce Canyon. From Bryce return back UT-12 and south on US-89 to UT-14 west to I-15 and then south to Zion and Las Vegas. From there it's a relatively simple matter of following I-15, CA-58 and I-5 to San Francisco.

How to Plan? There are many, many pages here devoted to that topic as well as to RV travel in general.