1. Default LA to Vegas and back to SF

On Feb 14th my wife and I will be arriving from Brazil to LAX for our holidays. We are planning on driving straight from the airport to Las Vegas and my wife heard of this longer route that takes us through some ghost towns and even a small part of the Route 66, although I can only find directions driving through I-15. Is it the same route as my wife was told? If not, does such route exists?
    After our time in Vegas and the Grand Canyon I am planning on driving back to San Francisco, with one night stop at the Sequoya National Park. Which would be the most fun route to this destination? Is the park any interesting during this time of the year? We were told not to go to Yosemite since due to winter time there would not be much to be seen.
    Then from SF back to LA we will take the Hwy 1 through the coast. Any problems with this road during this time of the year?
    As you can see, driving is for both of us, great part of the fun therefore we are looking forward driving through some of the best sights available.
    Thank you!

Default Route 66 & Beyond!

Quote Originally Posted by fbarao
    On Feb 14th my wife and I will be arriving from Brazil to LAX for our holidays.
    Welcome to America and to the Great American RoadTrip Forum!
    We are planning on driving straight from the airport to Las Vegas and my wife heard of this longer route that takes us through some ghost towns and even a small part of the Route 66, although I can only find directions driving through I-15.
    Actually you will be cris-crossing Route 66 several times on your way to Las Vegas. There are no real ghost towns, because people still live in all of those small communities, but Route 66 still exists. Click here to see photos along this section of the route and suggestions for following as much of it as you want to drive. The problem might be that it is much slower than using the Interstate highways. The fastest possible drive from LAX to Las Vegas is 5.5 hours. If you drive some of the sections of Route 66 it will add from 1-4 hours, depending upon which section you drive.
    After our time in Vegas and the Grand Canyon I am planning on driving back to San Francisco, with one night stop at the Sequoia National Park. Which would be the most fun route to this destination?
    Wow, Grand Canyon to Sequoia is a long drive -- since the mountain passes over the southern & central Sierras will be closed in late February, you will need to use the southern approach. From Kingman, Arizona I would travel the section of Route 66 that goes over Sitgreaves Pass and through Oatman. You will enjoy the ghost town feel of Oatman. You could also pick up more Route 66 once you cross the Colorado River, but I suggest you zoom back on I-40 to SR-58 and north on SR-99 to SR-198 in time to see the giant trees at sunset. It is gorgeous any time of the year.
    We were told not to go to Yosemite since due to winter time there would not be much to be seen.
    You were misinformed -- the combination of snow and ice on the waterfalls, is my favorite time of the year to visit Yosemite.
    Then from SF back to LA we will take the Hwy 1 through the coast. Any problems with this road during this time of the year?
    It is actually one of the best times of the year, because the summer fog is long gone. It will be gorgeous. But it is a long, long drive. If you stay on Route 1 the entire distance it will be a 12 hour day back to LAX.
    As you can see, driving is for both of us, great part of the fun therefore we are looking forward driving through some of the best sights available. Thank you!
    Well, your schedule will require 8-12 hours of driving per day, so it should be fun!

Mark

3. Default

Dear Mark,
    Thank you ever so much for your prompt reply and great assistance.
    As a matter of fact we were not considering driving from the Grand Canyon straight to Sequoya Park, we were planning stoping for the night somewhere in the middle of the way. We tought maybe Vegas again but I really appreciate some comments on any other places to stay. Thank you for the tip on Oatman by the way, it sounds like a nice place to visit.
    About Yosemite, can you believe that the information I had came from my travel agent (of all people) !!
    About Route 1, we are planning three stops along the way, so we can try to enjoy most of the great sights on the way. After leaving SF we plan on staying for the night in Carmel, then Pismo Beach but we are not sure about the last part, maybe Solvang (a bit off route) or Santa Barbara, these night, along with the one on the way from Grand Canyon to Sequoya are the only nights we have not planned on a place to stay.
    Once again thank you very much for the assistance and congratulations on such a great website you guys have going on.
    Fabio

Default More on-the-road tips

Quote Originally Posted by fbarao
    As a matter of fact we were not considering driving from the Grand Canyon straight to Sequoia Park, we were planning stoping for the night somewhere in the middle of the way.
    Rather than go back north again to Las Vegas I would suggest making "some tracks" to the west and stay over-night at either Barstow or Tehachapi so that you can get an early start for exploring the region around Sequoia NP. Mark Helmlinger's field report from that area provides a nice overview. After leaving Sequoia you can see if you have time to drive into Yosemite and look around.
    About Route 1, we are planning three stops along the way, so we can try to enjoy most of the great sights on the way. After leaving SF we plan on staying for the night in Carmel, then Pismo Beach but we are not sure about the last part, maybe Solvang (a bit off route) or Santa Barbara, these night, along with the one on the way from Grand Canyon to Sequoia are the only nights we have not planned on a place to stay.
    When at Carmel take the time to do the 17 mile drive. It is a toll road, but hardly that expensive and the views are sublime. Best book to pick-up and carry for your Coast Highway jaunt is this one.