1. Default Toronto to Daytona

Myslef and a few of my college roommates are planing on taking a road trip from toronto canada to head down to daytona beach for a few days. We would like to make the most of the actual drive, so we want to know what is really worth taking a little detour to check out on the way. We plan on making stops on the way down and on the way back so the more sugestions we could get would be the best. Any sugestions would be greatly appreciated

Thank You

Default So much to see

Quote Originally Posted by canadian36
    Myslef and a few of my college roommates are planing on taking a road trip from toronto canada to head down to daytona beach for a few days. We would like to make the most of the actual drive, so we want to know what is really worth taking a little detour to check out on the way. We plan on making stops on the way down and on the way back so the more sugestions we could get would be the best.
    Welcome to the Great American RoadTrip Forum! The easiest way to answer this question would require knowing how many days you will have for this round-trip journey. There are some really amazing things to see on the way, but we really need some more information about what you would like to see. I just reviewed the newest guide to I-95 and it is chock-full of some interesting diversions.

Mark

3. Default

We are planing on leaving on a friday and being home on the following saterday so we have a week and a day but we would like to spend about 2 days getting down there and about a day and a half getting back.

thank you

Default How fast do you drive?

We are planing on leaving on a friday and being home on the following saterday so we have a week and a day but we would like to spend about 2 days getting down there and about a day and a half getting back.
    OK, I am not sure you will have much time to sight-see. The shortest possible route is 1994 Kms (or 1238 miles) and although 1990 Kms in the wide-open west is relatively easy over a two-day stretch -- you will be driving through a certain level of congestion. With fuel and rest stops, this distance will require a minimum of 24 hours of in-the-seat-driving driving each way. Were you planning on stopping overnight or was this going to be a speed run? If it is, read these tips!

A little more clarification and we probably can offer some tips about places to stop.

Mark

5. Default Drivin Straight through

Well we know it was gonna take us about 24 hours to drive down so we had planned on jsut driving straight through. Then we jsut thought that it would be cool to see some things on our way there and on our way back. We will be leaving on differant times of the day so that what we missed at night on the way down we will be passing in the day time on the way home. So we planned a speen run as you call it but if there was anythign worth while stoping at we thought we could spend one extra day getting down and one extra coming back up.

Thanks

Default A couple of ideas

Well we know it was gonna take us about 24 hours to drive down so we had planned on just driving straight through. Then we thought that it would be cool to see some things on our way there and on our way back. We will be leaving on differant times of the day so that what we missed at night on the way down we will be passing in the day time on the way home.
    OK, just so we are all on the same page. Hmmm, I could think of a few hundred stops in between Toronto and Daytona. I am guessing that you have already seen the Canadian side of Niagra Falls? If not, it is very impressive. I am further betting that you are taking I-90 to I-79 to I-77 and then down to I-95, which is the fastest route. Pittsburgh is a pretty fun city -- the Strip District is fun both during the day and at night.

At Charleston, West Virginia, instead of jumping onto the turnpike I would follow US-60 down to White Suphur Springs. This highway is known as the "Midland Trail" and there is lots of historical Civil War sites as well as plenty of white-water rafting areas -- besides, it is a nice drive. More info here. If you continue on SR-311 you can go right over the top of the Appalachian Mountains to I-64/81 before heading south again.

Another must stop place, I really liked was Wakulla Springs in northern Florida. If your timing is good, the glass bottom boats will be running -- it is quite awesome to go eye-to-eye with a 10-foot alligator. Here is some more info. Actually one of the best alligator farms in the country is pretty close to your destination in Daytona -- that would be just outside of St. Augustine on the little island of Anastasia. Actually, here is a a better link -- be sure to look at the photo gallery of the leaping 'gators! Yikes!

A bit out of the way, but it you have an hankering for a photo of a unique billboard -- mile 54 northbound on I-95 in North Carolina -- look for the upside down truck. In a similar vein -- you have to stop at South of the Border!

There is a 60 mile kayak & canoe trail along the Edisto River near exit 68 on I-95.

Well, that is a start anyway.

Mark
    Last edited by Mark Sedenquist; 02-03-2006 at 12:26 AM. Reason: Added a new link