Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    The Great Midwest, Illinois to be precise

Default Interstates Turn 50 today

Well, actually it is one of three birthdays you can celebrate this year. On this date in 1956, President Eisenhower went before Congress and asked for the creation and funding for a national interstate system.

On June 29th, Congress passed the Federal Aid Highway Act, and on August 13, actual construction began on a stretch of I-70 by St. Charles, Missouri, a suburb of St. Louis. (This was on a section of the RT 66 bypass.) There are markers at the spot commemorating the event.

This is regarded as the biggest public works effort in history. This was great news to motorists and truckers, but definitely not so great for Route 66 which met its demise as a result. However, I wouldn't even want to consider how bad driving anywhere in the US would be without them. Imagine how bad traffic would be today if we were still relying on the existing roads of the time.

For more information on the interstates, Eisenhower's reason for establishing it, and plenty of trivia, go to this site:

http://www.aiada.org/article.asp?id=56619

Keep on that big OLD multilane asphalt Highway and Happy B-Day.-RoadDog

Default Look at that link!

Quote Originally Posted by RoadDog
    ...and plenty of trivia, go to this site...
    RoadDog, that list of trivia is awesome! Thanks for posting this bit of road news and this link -- it is a resource I will use many times!

Mark

Default Thanks for sharing...

While I knew about Eisenhower's contribution to our interstate system, I didn't realize this was the anniversary year. Cool to know. I guess we should all celebrate by getting out on those interstates, eh?

One thing I read that your link didn't mention was that Eisenhower's conviction that the US needed a modern system of connected highways was because of what he had seen in Germany after WWII. Their autobahn totally outclassed not only our own system but those of most other European nations as well. Considering how slow the slog toward Berlin was, until they hit good German roads that is, this issue took on further importance to Eisenhower. So I've read, anyway.

Default Whose Idea was the Autobahn?

There was a recent show on the History Channel, or PBS, about the Autobahn and, if I remember correctly, Adolph Hitler was the man behind it. Of course, this would fit right in for his plans of world domination. This would require the quick movement of troops and ordnance from one part of Germany to another.

It was also Hitler who got Porsche to build the Volkswagen.

RoadDog

RoadTripper Brad Guest

Default Modern Marvels: The Autobahn

The show you're thinking of is "Modern Marvels: The Autobahn" which aired on The History Channel. I remember this episode very well, as it had a 10 minute segment on the ADAC, the German Autoclub (their version of AAA).

It stuck in my mind mainly because I was in awe of the ADAC... they do so many things AAA doesn't do! On the road mechanics, rescue helicopters, all things that AAA doesn't have just yet.

That segment peaked my interest that I found it's second showing and watched the whole thing again. Their highway system is far more advanced than ours today... the whole episode was just amazing.

-Brad

Default I-287

Whenever I see something about Interstate history, I pull out the 1965 Texaco Touring Atlas I have and look at the alignment for I-287 (NJ)...it wasn't finished until 1994(!)

It is amazing to see what was accomplished in just the first nine years.

Thanks, IKE!!!!

Default One Unbelievable Site About Interstates

While looking up lyrics to some road songs, I came across a tremendous web site devoted to interstates.

It is run by the Federal Highway Administration. You will find a big FAQ section. Did you know the whole thing cost $128.9 billion? Most of us know how the US highways were numbered back in 1926, but how do they number the interstates?

Carl Rakeman has an impressive art gallery which covers from Albert Gallatin's 1808 road and canal report to rural interstate highways and urban depressed highways. You're probably wondering what in the world an urban depressed highway is? Each painting comes with a thumbnail report.

An extensive bibliography and collection of interstate articles can also be found on it.

I'm putting this in my source collection.

http://www.fhwa.dot.gov/interstate/homepage.cfm

Keep on Down that Fast-Moving, Multi-Laned Highway. -- RoadDog

Default Road Geeks Unite!

RoadDog,

There is an extensive, but loosely-organized group of "Road Geeks" who keep track on every element of Interstate trivia you can imagine. Some of the best links can be found on the bottom of our Road Conditions page. I use these guys all of the time when researching articles. Look for the "Road Geeks" section.

Mark

Default Wisconsin Interstates

There was a great article by Dennis McCann in the March 3rd Milwaukee Journal-Sentinel about the 50th anniversary of the interstates. He talked about the coming of the I-roads, as he calls them, and gives some of their history in Wisconsin, as well as some good sites to check.

I especially liked the quote, "So happy birthday, I-roads. You're no rustic roads, and you probably deserve the blame for killing Route 66 and other famous open roads, but if a person only wants to get from here to there, you get the job done."

The rustic roads he refers to are those great one to ten mile drives in Wisconsin that takes you through a rural wonderland. I strongly suggest that anyone driving through the state check any of these out if you encounter them. There is also a brochure on them which gives the locations. I especially like the scenic Snake Road drive outside of Lake Geneva.

I always try to convince people to get off the interstates whenever they can. However, I used to be Mr. Interstate myself. Then came Route 66. It must be remembered, however, that Route 66 put quite a few older roads out of business itself.

For the article:

http://www.jsonline.com/story/index.aspx?id=405585

Keep on Down that Multi-laned Super Slab. How bad Would the two-laners be without them!!! --RoadDog

Default Amen, to that brother!

Quote Originally Posted by RoadDog
    How bad Would the two-laners be without them!!!
    That has always been my point. All forms of roads are complementary to each other. Thanks for the follow-up to your earlier posts.

Mark