1. Default Obtaining insurance for non-residents

G'day.

I am 22yo and travelling to the states in May. What I want to do is somehow get hold of a car in L.A. or SF and then drive to New York with my girlfriend. I've looked into rentals, but they seem very expensive (for a <25yo). I've tried to find as much information as possible about a non-resident purchasing a car in the states, but what I have no idea about is insurance.

Is there any company in the states that will insure a non-resident who is travelling for a short period who purchases a vehicle. Hopefully people who have taken this route may give me some advice.

Thank you in advance.

Default We've assembled a list for you

Quote Originally Posted by ozzyAU
    Is there any company in the states that will insure a non-resident who is travelling for a short period who purchases a vehicle. Hopefully people who have taken this route may give me some advice.
    Welcome to the Forum -- I would suggest you scroll down the list of topics on the International Visitor page. There are several resources that might be helpful for you there.

Mark

Greetings, ozzyAU!

You might also check out the links at the bottom of this page (scroll down) and do a search. There have been a lot of discussions on this topic, and there really isn't a definitive answer to your questions. There are so many variables. Best wishes.

4. Default

Yeah you are definitely not wrong when you say there isn't a definitive answer. None of the links on the Intl page are really helpful when it comes to this issue.

Although I kept searching Google, and I found this company in LA and also NYC which seem like the answer to my situation.

http://www.transatlantic-rv.com/uk/index.html

What you do is purchase a used a car from them, and they organise insurance/registration/tax etc etc and then they will guarantee to buy it back from you at an agreed price.

Anyone had experience?

Default A very tricky issue

Yeah you are definitely not wrong when you say there isn't a definitive answer. None of the links on the Intl page are really helpful when it comes to this issue.
    Sorry, I thought they would be.
    Although I kept searching Google,
    I found one that could be helpful, but I am not familiar with the firm -- but it certainly is similar to your situation.
    and I found this company in LA and also NYC which seem like the answer to my situation.
    We have heard of such firms, but have never had any positive remarks from our readers -- maybe you will be able to share after your experience?

Mark
    Last edited by Mark Sedenquist; 01-25-2006 at 09:23 PM. Reason: #$%#@ typos

6. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Editor
    We have heard of such firms, but have never had any positive remarks from our readers -- maybe you will be able to share after your experience?

Mark
    What negative experiences have they had?

Default No News -- May not be good news

What negative experiences have they had?
    Several of those would-be insurance purchasers posted on this forum -- but no one has ever reported back -- with either positive or negative comments -- Nada, zilch, nothing.

[Sorry]

mark

8. Default

Yeah I found quite a few threads here about people who were looking into leasing a car, which after finding a few companies, I think may be the option for me.

The thing is with this forum, (and other forums in a similar vein that I have visited) a lot of people who seek help, once they have found what they need, and they have completed their trip they don't return, because they have no need to.

After my road trip I'll make sure I come back here and post my experiences so other people who might be in a similar situation to mine can take some info from it.

Default We look forward to that

After my road trip I'll make sure I come back here and post my experiences so other people who might be in a similar situation to mine can take some info from it.
    That will be great. We do get a number of field reports about places and events that folks have experienced but little information on this topic. One of the things we do track is costs and so when you return, you might consider posting your road trip costs here.

Thanks,

Mark