Default Pyramid Lake, NV

Hey all,

I was just wondering if anyone here has been out to Pyramid Lake in Nevada, about 35 miles from Reno. I just got back from a quick 2-day fishing/road trip out there. Very beautiful lake, very good fishing, and lots of myths and legends about it. Defintely worth checkin out if your out near Reno or Tahoe. Just take NV-445 off of US-80 near Sparks. I have some pics up on my photosite.
    http://bmarciasini.photosite.com

Brett

Default What are the nature of the legends?

Quote Originally Posted by packman
    I was just wondering if anyone here has been out to Pyramid Lake in Nevada, about 35 miles from Reno. I just got back from a quick 2-day fishing/road trip out there. Very beautiful lake, very good fishing, and lots of myths and legends about it.
    Brett, those photos sure make that water look chilly! What kinds of legends have you heard?

Mark

Default Legends

Hey Mark,

There are numerous stories of people that were reported missing in either Pyramid Lake and found in Lake Tahoe, or the other way around. Apparently, there are people that believe there is an underground tunnel system that leads from Pyramid to Tahoe. Another way to look at these happenings is the body could flow over the spillway at Tahoe and flow down the Truckee River to its final destination at Pyramid. Growing up I heard stories of boats that capsized in Pyramid Lake and were found in Lake Tahoe, Walker Lake (Nevada), and even heard one about the Indian Ocean. Boats capsize there every year because of the heavy winds that create some pretty large waves. The water was very cold, even the neopreme waders couldn't keep you warm. The lake is really shallow around the edges so you have to walk out about waste deep to the where it drops off. A lot of anglers bring out 6-foot step ladders and set them up at the drop offs so they can cast further and stay out of the water.
    If your into fishing, this lake holds the world record Cutthroat trout (the only kind of species that can survive in the high alkaline waters) which was 41 pounds and caught here in 1925.
    Here are some brief lake facts: http://pyramidlakefisheries.org/FACTSPL.htm

Brett

Québec, Montreal, Arizona, California, France

Hey Brett,

Great pics, looks like a fun fishing trip! The underground tunnel myth sure is interesting:-). I'd love to go on fishing trips in the US but I'm not sure what are the laws regarding foreign people? Do we have to get a special licence or permit?

Gen

Default licenses

Hey Gen,

To fish in the US, I think all you need is a non-resident fishing license for the state that you'll be fishing in. At least that's how it is in California. You can usually get 1-2 day licenses or week longs as well instead of forking out the money for a full season. The best way to find out for sure would be to check out the fish & game website of the state you'd like to fish in.
    This is a cool article about Lake Tahoe and the possibilty of a tunnel system. If only I had a submarine!
    http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/articl...PGV17SQ7K1.DTL

Brett

Default A fun article

Quote Originally Posted by packman
    This is a cool article about Lake Tahoe and the possibilty of a tunnel system. If only I had a submarine!
    Brett, I enjoyed that article -- I can add some data on the tale that there are lots of well-preserved bodies floating in Lake Tahoe. One of the regular RTA contributors was a part-time bodyguard to Frank Sinatra during the days he owned/frequented the Cal-Neva Lodge at Lake Tahoe -- he has confirmed a number of involuntary swimming episodes involving concrete-filled champagne buckets and some less than charming wise guys. So...

Mark

Default haha

That is pretty funny. Makes you wonder. I wonder if there is a way sonar or something could pick up these guys. A fish finder wouldn't work, but there has to be something you'd think? Or someone with the curiosity that equals there wealth.

Brett

Wow....freaky stuff.

Here in Washington, Lake Crescent, on the northern edge of the Olympic Peninsula is also quite cold and deep, and which also doesn't easily give up the dead. One of the few who died there returned as soap. Really.

Here's a fun story about it.

While the story is just a story, it is based on truth. The lake really did give up a woman of that name who was made of soap. Very bizarre stuff.
    Last edited by PNW Judy; 12-31-2005 at 02:17 AM.

9. Default

We made a day trip to Pyamid Lake from Lake Tahoe one year. It was beautiful. On a sunny day the water is as blue as the water in Lake Powell.

Utahtea