1. Default Glendale, Arizona to Tri-Cities, Washington

I'm planning a trip to the Tri-Cities over spring break, but trying to decide what would be the best route, esp considering the northern Arizona terrain:

1: Should I drive first to Las Vegas, then go from there to Utah (I'm contemplating from LV to Provo being a stop) or

2: Should I drive through the Flagstaff area/Grand Canyon, to enter into Utah?

My main concern is mountain elevation/declination when driving. I know its unavoidable -- I'm going to have to wind some mountains; however, I'm wondering which would be the better and more safer route. Thanks in advance!

2. Default

Welcome to the RTA forum!

First of all, I think it is out of your way to go through Las Vegas and then into Utah. The most direct routes would be through Northern AZ and into Utah on US89, then pick up I-15 into Salt Lake City and using the interstates from there through Boise and into Washington.

If you'd prefer to go through Las Vegas, then (second choice) I'd use the US and state routes northward through Nevada directly into eastern Oregon and that way. This is not a bad drive -- little traffic and magnificent desert vistas.

BUT, US89 through central Utah to Salt Lake City would be my first choice for scenery. Bob

At the risk of being ignorant here, I assume the Tri-Cities means Olympia, Tacoma, and Seattle? I've wondered for a long time why the towns near the Iowa/Illinois border are called the Quad "Cities" when two of them have pops. under 45,000. Sounds like a similar situation with Olympia, though Seattle is at 570,000 and Tacoma near 200,000, according to a 2000 census.

RoadTripper Brad Guest

No. The Tri-Cities is in South Central Washington, and consists of Kennewick, Pasco, and Richland. Its near the Handford Site.

Wow, I had no idea! Well, they are no smaller than 3 of the Quad Cities (all but Davenport) in population.