Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Young couple looking to go cross country

My boyfriend ( from switzerland) and I are looking to go cross country, one way. WE have other plans at the end but getting there seems to pose some problems. WE have NO idea where to go, or where to even begin this trip. WE will planon leaving around the begining of april to the begining of may. We are starting in New Hampshire where i currently live, and end up on the west coast. We do have a few friends along the way whom we would love to see, but other than that we are open for anything. We would like to see as much as possible before my enlistment into the military. Any suggestions on cool places to see? Recomended places to eat/sleep? Also, any tips on not driving each other crazy by the end of it would be brilliant. Anything is greatly appreciated. THanks- Maura

Default Is this a month-long trip?

Quote Originally Posted by Maurag645
    My boyfriend ( from switzerland) and I are looking to go cross country, one way.
    Maura, Welcome to the Forum!

I wasn't sure I followed the question -- will this be a month-long trip across the USA or?
    WE have other plans at the end but getting there seems to pose some problems. WE have NO idea where to go, or where to even begin this trip.
    This seems like an ideal kind of problem to have!

What kinds of things interest you? Do you prefer hiking or dancing?
    Also, any tips on not driving each other crazy by the end of it would be brilliant. Anything is greatly appreciated.
    Some of the tips on this couples page might be useful.

Default ...and where are your friends?

It would also help to know where the friends are that you would love to see, so that we had a rough idea of which of the several scenic ways to cross this country would suit you best.

AZBuck

hi thanks for your response. They are in arizona and louisiana. And we have that whole month, so i geuss yes, the whole trip will be a month long. maybe a little less. as far as activities, we like both. hiking and staying fit is a part of both our lives, but dancing is also a great way of being togehter ;)

Default Let's Start Planning

OK - Now that we've got some basics decided (and this is the way lots of good road trip planning starts!) lets start thinking about what we want to do and see between points A and B (and C, D, etc.). With a month and someone relatively new to the US to make this journey with, what I'd do is start by heading down the east coast and seeing some of the larger cities such as Boston, Philadelphia and Washington, take in the sights, hike their historic districts, see some museums and take in some night life. Then continue south along the coastlines of Virginia and the Carolinas until I found some warm weather and enjoy the beach after a New England winter. From there I'd head inland to the southern Appalachians and get in some more hiking and scenery before traversing the deep South to Louisiana. After visiting with your friends, strike out across Texas and the southwest and pay particular attention to how the landscape changes as the climate gets drier, enjoy a few of the desert national parks and probably head up to the Grand Canyon. From there, head into Las Vegas just for the experience and then on to the west coast (where exactly?).

So, that's a broad strokes outline of what such a trip could entail. If that appeals to you, then you can start filling in the details. For example, clog dancing in the Appalachians, line dancing in Dallas, hiking in various parks, learning a bit along the way. As to how not to drive each other crazy, my only suggestion is that you give each other some alone time every now and then. Take some days where one of you takes the car for a side trip and the other relaxes at the motel/pool/beach. Or one shops while the other sees a museum. And be sure to take some time out of the car every day to do the things you both enjoy.

AZBuck

Default Where in Louisiana?

I've driven from Louisiana to New Hampshire and from Louisiana to Arizona, so I can give some pointers on what to see. If you like history stop at the Gettysburg National Park. Also the land bridge in Virginia is wonderful. If he's never been to the US, show him around Boston. Even though you've probably seen it hundreds of times, approaching a city you know as a tourist can be lots of fun.

From LA to Arizona I highly recommend the Banderas Ice Cave - it's right off I-40 in New Mexico. Also there's THE THING off of I-10 in Arizona (at a truck stop). If you're stopping in New Mexico the Carlsbad Caverns are a great place to stop as is Mesa Verde in Southern Colorado (you can go from Carlsbad up to I-40 and then up through the Navajo Reservation for a cool trip to Mesa Verde).

Have Fun!

We both have already visited Boston (togehter) and we definetly are thinking going down the east coast, visitng in baltimore with some friends, then going south, sadly there isa little less to see down there, but i would love to see Nashville,. then just the very west, Colorado, arizona, New mexico. We want to see alot of California, then turn back around to Arizona to our final destination around flaggstaff. Thank you for the places and such, im very appreciative. And want routes do you think would be the best way to go? And by the way, what do you think of hostels?

Default Take Two

Well now, that's a bit different, but let's try this. From NH head down to I-495 around Boston, Use I-290 and I-90 to connect to I-84 down to north of New York City, I-864 will take you into New York where you can pick up I-95 to Philadelphia, Baltimore and Washington.You could easily take a week visiting these cities, but the pace and itinerary are up to you. From Washington head west on I-66 to join I-81 southbound through the Shenandoah Valley. If you're of a mind, take a side trip to the Great Smoky Mountains National Park. Then pickup I-40 west to Nashville. Take I-24, I-57 and I-64 to St. Louis and join I-70 to take you to the west. At Denver head north a bit on I-25 and use US-36/34/40 to experience Rocky Mountain National Park and return to I-70 westbound. As you leave Colorado and enter Utah, you'll have the opportunity to see Colorado National Monument and Arches National Park. In western Utah join I-15 southbound and be sure to see Zion National Park before heading into Las Vegas. After Las Vegas, continue down I-15 to Los Angeles and from there go where you will in California. From Los Angeles, head back eastward via I-15 and I-40 to Flagstaff. That routing gets you everything you've said you wanted, except Louisiana. But, unfortunately, that does not seem to be in the cards for this trip.

On another topic. my experience with hostels has been spotty and was mostly many years ago in Europe. I have run across some more recently here, and I get the impression that the amenity level can vary wildly. Perhaps some one with some more pertinent information on them will pipe up.

AZBuck
    Last edited by AZBuck; 12-05-2005 at 10:12 PM.

You've gotten great advice on routes, etc., so I'll just make a quick note about hostels. Unless you're wanting to go to a hostel for the chance to meet-up with other travelers to share stories and enjoy their comraderie, I think you're better off to just stay in inexpensive hotels. Most hostels in the US seems to charge about $20-25 per person for the night. You can stay in a Motel 6, Days Inn, or various other inexpensive chains for less money. But, if saving money isn't the goal but the comraderie, go for it. I've heard the some are better than others and that most in the US aren't as good as those in Europe but I don't have any specifics to share. You might want to do a websearch looking for input about hostels at websites that cater to travelers who use them more than most of us here do.

so basically you guys think that camping and the occasional cheap-o motel is the way to go? not hostels right? now, after reading a bunch of this posts and things i hear people talking about coolers and all that type of stuff... whats hte best type of food to bring with us to snack on but not gain 50 pounds during this trip.?