Dubuque, IA, but in school at Davenport, IA

Default Possible winter trip, Iowa to Florida

Hi, just found this website tonight and I'm already loving it. I just love reading maps and planning trips. Here's the trip I'm working on right now. I'm not sure if it will happen, but it's fun pretending it will. Just wanted to see if anyone had any advice since this is going to a part of the country I haven't really been through.

I plan on leaving during Winter Break from Dubuque, Iowa with some friends, and eventually get to Wilton Manor, Florida where I have an aunt living. So far I have nothing planned regarding length of trip and/or money, but being able to stay with my aunt once we get there would save a lot of money. We wouldn't probably want to take more than three days of travel, but I, myself, enjoy a little more scenic route. If that means taking the main interstates I'm all for it.

Anyone know any interesting sites to see on the way? I'm going to get the book Roadside America from the library when I go home because that is one of my favorite books. Very interesting with weird roadstops.

Anyway, thanks in advance for any tips!

-Jay

The Great Midwest, Illinois to be precise

Default Take US 52

Coming from Dubugue, Iowa, you're familiar with US 52, which runs from Portal, ND to Charleston, SC. I's suggest taking portions of it part of the way. The section from Metamora, Indiana to Huntington, WV, is a great drive with lots of interesting things to see. Much of the way, it is beside the Ohio River or close to it.

I would suggest I-64 to Charleston, WV, and then I-77 to Wytheville, VA. Mt. Airy, NC is the home of Andy Griffith and served as the basis for Mayberry.

Default Lots of resources

Quote Originally Posted by swenny916
    Hi, just found this website tonight and I'm already loving it.
    Jay, Welcome to the Forum!
    I just love reading maps and planning trips. Here's the trip I'm working on right now. I'm not sure if it will happen, but it's fun pretending it will. Just wanted to see if anyone had any advice since this is going to a part of the country I haven't really been through.
    The planning can be, in many ways, almost better than the actual trip.
    I plan on leaving during Winter Break from Dubuque, Iowa with some friends, and eventually get to Wilton Manor, Florida where I have an aunt living.
    Since you mentioned Roadside America which will remain in the classic road lore literature, you should also pick up some of the "Oddball [State Name]" series of books. One of our favorites in that series is Oddball Iowa and I bet you will find places in your home state you never knew about! In fact, you might want to check out all of the book reviews we have done in the Roadside Americana department. There are some really remarkable resources out there for planning roadtrips these days!
    So far I have nothing planned regarding length of trip and/or money, but being able to stay with my aunt once we get there would save a lot of money. We wouldn't probably want to take more than three days of travel, but I, myself, enjoy a little more scenic route. If that means taking the main interstates I'm all for it.
    Given your time span -- I think you will need to stick to the Interstate highways as much as you can -- there are still amazing places just off these major highways.

What kinds of things interest you the most?

Mark

Dubuque, IA, but in school at Davenport, IA

Default interests

First off all, thanks for your replies.

As for my interests, I like the really random stuff like the stuff I would find in the Oddball books. Stuff that doesn't really take a long time to look at, but makes you laugh and you always seem to remember seeing it. I don't know if that helps at all.