socal Guest

Default from San Diego to Yosemite

Hello, All
    I just discovered this site and am very excited. I am hoping some of you could assist me in my roadtrip plans. My husband and I are going to spend Thanksgiving in SF so we'd like to visit Yosemite on our way there. We will depart the weekend before Thanksgiving and prefer to use the roads east (not the PCH) to get to Yosemite. Does anyone have suggestions for stopovers in any of the places on that route(Bakersfield, Fresno, etc.)? We're interesting in finding a good lunchspot or place to stretch our legs or possibly a place to stayover en route to Yosemite, since we can do the trip in 1-2 days. On our way home from SF, we'll be hitting the PCH route. Also, any recommendations for the central coast, since we're not familiar with that area. Thank you in advance for your help!

Default Sounds like a lovely trip

Quote Originally Posted by socal
    I just discovered this site and am very excited.
    Welcome to the Forum!
    My husband and I are going to spend Thanksgiving in SF so we'd like to visit Yosemite on our way there. We will depart the weekend before Thanksgiving and prefer to use the roads east (not the PCH) to get to Yosemite. Does anyone have suggestions for stopovers in any of the places on that route(Bakersfield, Fresno, etc.)? We're interesting in finding a good lunchspot or place to stretch our legs or possibly a place to stayover en route to Yosemite, since we can do the trip in 1-2 days. On our way home from SF, we'll be hitting the PCH route.
    One place I would certainly suggest would be to stop by the newly re-opened Kelso Depot in the Mojave National Preserve on your way north. The official opening isn't until March, 2006, but it is open now and a great way to get a quick glimpse into the area. Here is an article we published several months ago.

Also, just about my favorite road for viewing a Joshua Tree forest is the Kelso-Cima Road. These trees are extraordinary and although this photo is a bit blurred, you can probably get an idea.

The most eastern route -- US-395 is another alternative that would take you along the eastern slope of the Sierra Nevada mountains -- there are scores of posts about places to explore along this highway, (but the road to Yosemite that goes over Tioga Pass will be closed due to snow) so, I would suggest State Route 79 through the back road communities of Julian and Santa Ysabel -- be sure to stop at the junction for some fresh bread! -- and then follow SR-79 to Aguanga and take county road 371 to 74 and take the incomparable road over Seven Level Hill in the San Jacinto Mountains. From there you could head northeast to Kelso or head northwest on I-10 to I-215 to I-15 over Cajon Pass and then take US-395 north to Kramer Junction and turn west on CA-58 -- take a quick detour into the town of Boron (20-Mule Team fame) past Edwards AFB, Mojave, Tehachapi (if either of you likes trains, take a quick detour and follow the signs for the scenic drive to the Loop) before heading on west.

At Bakersfield, I would suggest heading north on CA-99 to Fresno and then pick up state route 41 -- a quick detour along the California Gold Trail -- route 49 -- takes you to Mariposa -- good choices for lodging and then you can head to Yosemite National Park.

When you leave Yosemite -- following state route 120 to the west, I would head north again on state route 49 and check out the mother lode country -- lots to see and do. You can head west from any point, but if you have time you can drive all the way along 49 to Placerville and Auburn (gorgeous country) and then zoom back to San Francisco on I-80.

There are scores and scores of posts about traveling PCH between San Francisco and San Diego. The routes I have suggested could be done in your time frame, but they could also take a week... pick and choose. Have fun.

Be sure to look at the suggested threads at the bottom of this page!

Mark
    Last edited by Mark Sedenquist; 11-05-2005 at 10:18 PM. Reason: Added some photos

Quote Originally Posted by socal
    Does anyone have suggestions for stopovers in any of the places on that route(Bakersfield, Fresno, etc.)? help!
    I have no personal experience at this restaurant in Bakersfield, but I saw an episode of Huell Howser's California's Gold that visited Wool Growers Restaurant in Bakersfield and it looked great.
    http://www.woolgrowers.net

Also a VIA magazine article that's posted on the Wool Grower's website about other Bakersfield restaurants:
    http://www.woolgrowers.net/web/ViaMag.htm