Default National Bison Range

One of the unexpected delights that I came across on a recent 13-day, 4800 mile roadtrip to Montana was that National Bison Range near Dixon, Montana. Time was short and so I didn't have time to drive the Red Sleep Mountain Drive, a winding backcountry road that climbs to 4,700 feet and meanders nineteen miles through part of the 18,500 acres of the preserve, but even so, I did get a up close and personal view of these magnificent animals.

and I really liked this one:

Notice how their eyes are watching me the entire way across the road.

Have you ever visited?

Mark
    Last edited by Mark Sedenquist; 08-19-2012 at 12:14 PM.

RoadTripper Brad Guest

I've never visted that particular range before, but I did have a spectacular encounter when I was 5 with those magnificant animals just inside Yellowstone.

The road you describes sounds like my kind of road!

And If I may, my interpretation of what those Bison are thinking: "And on your left, you'll notice a human. He is in his protective shell called an auto. It makes lots of noise, smells, and can be dangerous. This species requires these protective shells out in the wild, because they have no natual defenses. And, from what my great-great-great grandpa said, they make an increadible squish when hit by our heads when out of their protective shells."

Default Bison Whisperer?

Quote Originally Posted by Cascadia4-brad m
    And on your left, you'll notice a human. He is in his protective shell called an auto. It makes lots of noise, smells, and can be dangerous. This species requires these protective shells out in the wild, because they have no natual defenses. And, from what my great-great-great grandpa said, they make an increadible squish when hit by our heads when out of their protective shells.
    Maybe you can hire out as a "bison whisperer" for local movie shoots?

Mark

RoadTripper Brad Guest

They call me "Dances with Buffalo". LOL!

You guys crack me up! LOL

Great place, Mark. It will go on my "see someday soon" list.

My buffalo story: In Sequim, WA, there is the Olympic Game Farm. This is a small drive-through type of zoo. I think he's long-dead but the bear from the old TV show/movie "Gentle Ben" spent his last years there. I think they supply animals for other movies, too. Anyway, part of the drive-through goes through a field with buffalo.

There are signs all over telling you to not feed the buffalo and to keep your windows rolled up. So, we're driving through and the car in front of us has its window down. A buffalo walked up close to the car and the driver stopped the car. Bad mistake. The next thing we saw was the buffalo licking the driver's head. Yuck! That tongue was as big as my arm. Yuck, yuck, yuck! The driver was trying to climb into the passenger seat but the woman already sitting in it was in his way.

But their little adventure was far from over.

The buffalo couldn't get his head out of the car. His horns were stuck inside. So the buffalo starts shaking his head back-and-forth. While this is going on, the car is rocking like crazy. The guy in the driver's seat is now trying to climb over the top of the seat to get into the backseat. The woman in the passenger seat is curled up against the door on her side with her arms over her head.

At the time we had a Suburban. My kids were about 5 and 7 years old. They were literally running/crawling in circles around the inside laughing, screaming, and totally enjoying this scene. We were flummoxed. Didn't know if we should just drive up ahead to summon help, or what. To be honest, I think we were too mesmerized to do much but watch.

The buffalo finally got his head out but he was not a real happy fella about that point. The woman passenger is turned around screaming at the driver cowering in the backseat. We could hear her through our closed (tightly closed, mind you) windows. She was not happy either. The driver finally scrambled back over the seat and drove away. But not before the buffalo head-butted the side of the car a few times. We got out of there quick before he took more of his wrath out on us.

When they stopped in the parking lot outside to get out of there car, we stopped to see if they were OK. The buffalo had torn up the roof of the car pretty good. He also put some creases into the top of the door frame so that the door didn't close all the way along the top. The roofliner was torn to shreads. And there was buffalo drool all over the steering column, driver's seat, and more. And now, of course, all over the driver, too. Gross.

They were all mad and wanted to sue the game farm. I remember lecturing them on ignoring all the signs and that it was their own fault. So we went to the business office and made sure they knew what had happened and left our names and contact info in case they were sued and needed witnesses to the stupidity of the folks in the car. They never contacted us so I don't know what happened with that.

But can you imagine trying to explain to your insurance agent what you did to your car? LOL

Default Insurance Claims to the tenth degree

Quote Originally Posted by Judy View Post
    My buffalo story: In Sequim, WA, there is the Olympic Game Farm.
    I just reread this story (above) -- I have seen some serious damage that a ticked-off buffalo did to a truck -- this story makes me chuckle. Thanks for sharing!

Mark

7. Default More tatanka!

Another place to get up close and personal with bison is at Custer State Park in the Black Hills. They have hundreds and they roam free in the park -- you can often drive fairly close -- close enough to get some great photos anyway. There are other animals as well -- pronghorn, turkey & deer are some of what I saw there last year. Bob

8. Default Very cool...

I have printed this out and put it in my binder of places to go on my trip this summer. Thanks!

Scott

Wow, the big guy in the second photo looks just like my old boss!!

Default That sounds like a tough boss

Quote Originally Posted by Craig Antill View Post
    Wow, the big guy in the second photo looks just like my old boss!!
    Hopefully he smelt better than these lumbering giants!

Mark