Thread: The date is set

RoadTripper Brad Guest

Default The date is set

Well, the date has been set for my first roadtrip in a long time (I do plan an impromptu one as soon as I get a new auto, but right now that's not on the menu).

I am set to depart my humble abode here in Phoenix on October 11th of this year, for a very short trip to Phoenix Sky Harbor, where I will fly to EAT (if anyone knows what airport has this code, they win... my congratulations for finding it...) via Seattle. From there, I will spend only one day with family, and helping my friend pack his car and/or moving van.

We will then travel 2 days back to Phoenix. This will be a "speed run", so we will depart at about Midnight that thursday (the 13th) and not stop until... oh lets say 7 pm or when our legs threaten mutiny, which ever occurs first.

The next day will be straight through to Phoenix. If we get there in the early evening, we will continue to my apartment in East Phoenix. If it's nearly 7, we will just crash at the first motel 6 or super 8 we come across in the north end of the city, and make it to the house in the morning (we really don't want to spend all night setting up a futon for him after we spent ungodly hours driving).

I will keep you all updated as far as what exactly will be our mode of transport, either my friend's car towing a uhaul trailer, or a small uhaul towing or following with my friend's car. And once it's over, I hope that I have been able to somewhat track expenses and will try and get some photos up within 2-3 weeks (I don't have a digital camera, so it will be Disposable cameras developed with the Photo CD option checked.)

I know it seems absurd for someone to begin planning a roadtrip set for October in July, but this is a move... and because it involved me flying up, we had to start early. Btw, anyone who wants to fly PHX to EAT one-way right now is looking at $166.20 for 10/11/05 via Alaska/Horizon Air... or a little over $300 for Roundtrip. Which is not bad considering it's not a major airport!

Extra Credit- What historic event ENDED at the airport which uses the airport code EAT?
    -Brad M.

Québec, Montreal, Arizona, California, France

Default EAT Airport

if anyone knows what airport has this code, they win... my congradulations for finding it...) via Seattle. From there, I will spend only one day with family,
    Must be in Wenatchee!:-) So you really don't have any vacation this year?

What historic event ENDED at the airport which uses the airport code EAT?
    "East Wenatchee’s Fancher Field was the landing site of the first non-stop Trans-Pacific flight." (http://www.east-wenatchee.com/history.html)

Happy planning!

Gen

3. Default Bad timing!

Looks you're just going to miss the Wings and Wheels celebration by about two weeks!

By the way, I think this is the LAST group of people who would think it is "absurd" to start planning a road trip months in advance. We pretty much ALL do it (even when we don't have to) -- it's 2/3 of the fun! Bob

RoadTripper Brad Guest

Default Good Job Gen

I guess I kinda gave too many clues, seeing as how I consistantly talk about that town.

I had a real vacation up there in April, and this is sort of a vacation. I will be going back up there at least once a year for a minimum of one week.

Bob, I didn't even realize that that was so close... oh well, next year.

Well, hope to possibly run into some RTA folks out on the highways. It would be a real treat to run into some of our forum members at a gas station or something.

Well, I'm off to figure out what to do with this extra D'backs ticket for tomorrow. I'm going either way (got them from work).

Oh, Bob and Mark... I'm working on a article/post of sorts about One-way road trips. I will let you all know when I'm done.

-Brad M.

RoadTripper Brad Guest

Default The Eve of Departure

Well, here is my last update prior to my trip. I leave Phoenix tomorrow at about 7:30 AM by plane, destined for Pangborn Memorial Airport in Wenatchee, Washington (via Sea-Tac). Once there, we are going to go and pick up the 10' U-Haul and begin loading it. After visiting with friends and family for a few hours, we will set up to depart Wenatchee at 12:00 AM on the 13th (or what I would consider very late on the 12th).
    Our final route will be decided just before we leave, but we are planning to go through Yakima, Boise, Salt Lake City, Las Vegas, Laughlin, and Kingman. Once we get to Kingman, we are looking at several possible routes.

US 93 to Wickenburg is the most direct, but there is major construction, so we will probably avoid it. That leaves us with either I-40 to I-17, or I-40 to AZ-89 at Ash Fork. If we end up stopping in Southern Utah or in the Mesquite, Nevada area for the night, we might consider taking old Route 66 since we will be close enough to have ample time for a side trip. If we have to stop for the night closer to Salt Lake City, we will have to skip it entirely.

I kinda want to avoid going through Flagstaff... it is about 50 miles more in distance than going through Prescott, but then again, it is freeway speeds the whole way. I guess it all depends on what time of the day we hit Ash Fork.

And as an update, we won't be towing anything after all, it will just be us in a 10' uhaul.

My friend also got a very nice Digital Camera from his folks as a going-away present, so we expect quite a few pictures from this trip!

I will post info from the actual trip once I return and my new internet connection is set up!

See you all on the road!
    -Brad M.

6. Default Buen Viaje!

Enjoy your trip, Brad!

While the construction is underway on US93, it really doesn't slow you down much normally. I've driven that road quite a few times in the last two years, and have not been delayed even once. Of course, it is POSSIBLE, depending on what kind of work is going on at any given time. Even so, chances are it would still be the fastest way since it is so much shorter.

The route through Ash Fork and Prescott is one of my favorites, especially if you combine it with old 66 from Kingman to Seligman. If you use it, take the shortcut using 89A and Glassford Hill Rd through Prescott Valley. I can help you map it if you're not familiar. You avoid a few miles and longer distance around the "horn" toward Prescott this way. (Ash Fork south to SR89A, east on SR89A to Glassford Hill Rd, (right) south on Glassford Hill to SR69, then left on SR69 to Cordes Jct and I-17, etc). Robert Rd works the same way, but is a little more congested these days; directions are the same, except substitute Robert for Glassford Hill).

There is another possibility -- taking US95 south from Las Vegas to I-10 and into Phoenix on that, or via Salome and Wickenburg on US60. It's not shorter, just different. Bob

RoadTripper Brad Guest

Thanks for the input Bob! I didn't know that the construction wasn't that extensive. I guess it all depends on what time of the day we hit Kingman will decide our final route.

Quote Originally Posted by Cascadia4-brad m
    If it's nearly 7, we will just crash at the first motel 6 or super 8 we come across in the north end of the city, and make it to the house in the morning (we really don't want to spend all night setting up a futon for him after we spent ungodly hours driving).
    Why don't you just get the futon set up now before you leave so it's ready?

Sounds like a fun speed run. I'll look forward to your pictures and report.

Cool on the Trans-Pac flight landing in Wenatchee. I didn't know that. But I did guess Wenatchee. Yes, you've left way too many clues for us regulars. LOL

Take care and have fun!