mkm150 Guest

Default Pennsylvania to Los Angeles..need advice!

Hello -
    We are beginning our journey across the country on July 4, 2005 from Philadelphia to Los Angeles. We are planning to take- the I-80 route then linking onto I-15 in Utah. We plan on driving about 8-9 hours a day. We don't have that much time to spend sightseeing (we would like to get across in no more than 6 days) plus the fact that we will have a dog and cat in the car!
    The two places we would really love to stop and visit are Zion National Park and the Grand Canyon.
    Can anyone give advice on where to stop along the way? Any interesting towns worth noting?
    Also, any hotel recommendations? We are looking for inexpensive stays.

Thanks so much. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!!!

Megan

2. Default Amana Colonies and SLC

You could take a quick break or spend a whole afternoon at the Amana Colonies in Iowa -- or the Herbert Hoover birthplace near Iowa City.

Also, spending an afternoon (or again, just a couple of hours) in downtown Salt Lake City is worthwhile -- be sure to take the LDS temple tour -- it's amazing (and very non-threatening). The guides DO proselytize a bit, but only mildly (I'm told). Bob

mkm150 Guest

Default penn to LA

Salt Lake will be pretty far north if we are taking I-80 to I-15, won't it? Not sure without getting out my map!
    Any suggestions on where to stay in Zion or the Grand Canyon - which rim should we visit? North or South? keeping in mind we will have 2 pets with us.

thanks!

4. Default I-80 or I-70?

Well, no, if you take I-80 Salt Lake City is where you'll connect with I-15. You must be thinking of I-70 -- also a very scenic route. For scenery, you can't beat I-70 across Colorado, so that's a different set of suggestions if that's the route you have in mind. Bob

Quote Originally Posted by mkm150
    Salt Lake will be pretty far north if we are taking I-80 to I-15, won't it? Not sure without getting out my map!
    Any suggestions on where to stay in Zion or the Grand Canyon - which rim should we visit? North or South? keeping in mind we will have 2 pets with us.

thanks!
    First thing to consider: what are you planning on doing with your pets while you tour Zion and GC? It gets very hot there. Unless you have an RV where you can leave them that stays cool, it's not safe to leave them in the car.

Here's a kennel in GC. This page talks about kennels in some of the towns near Zion but doesn't give specifics.