blakewho Guest

Default Southern Adventure - Advice?

Hi there,

A friend and I are considering a roadtrip from July 1-10. Trip sketch thus far:

* START: New York, NY
    * Shenandoah National Park, VA
    * Nashville, TN
    * Memphis, TN
    * New Orleans, LA
    * Austin, TX
    * El Paso, TX
    * Grand Canyon
    * Las Vegas
    * Death Valley
    * Pacific Coast Highway
    * END: San Francisco

Any thoughts? Stops we should add/delete, etc? We're both early 20's and shooting for about 40% city, 40% nature, 20% cheesy americana.

Thanks!
    Blake

2. Default Lot to cover in such a shore time!

You are going to have to drive an average of 450 miles per day...each and every day. That won't leave a lot time for site seeing and exploring each of the locations you want to go to!

I would forget Death Valley in the summer....way too hot! Instead from the Grand Canyon head north on Hwy 89 past Lake Powell and then drive though Zion National Park on the way to Las Vegas. Zion is a lot more scenic too!

The Pacific Coast Highway will be very SLOW driving! I would recommend starting at around Morro Bay. The northern part is your more dramatic coast line and it will save you a couple of hours of driving.

Utahtea

blakewho Guest

Default new orleans?

thanks for the suggestions, utahtea. the allure of death valley is huge though, despite the heat...

one thought: is new orleans worth it? it takes us much further south than we would need to go otherwise. is it just a bunch of bars or is there something truly special about the place (without mardi gras in effect)?

thanks!
    blake

4. Default

By dropping New Orleans and the other Southern Cities, you would be saving yourself 635 miles and over 8 hours of driving time. With the limited time you have, I'd drop New Orleans.

I-40 is a scenic route. Once you hit Oklahoma City, OK you can find a lot of places to drive the Old Route 66...talk about cheezy! Just west of Amarillo, Texas is the Cadillac Ranch...more cheezy! Just west of Albuquerque, NM is Petroglyphs National Monument. East of Holbrook, AZ is the exit for Painted Desert and Petrified Forest National Park. I would drive the Petrified Forest scenic drive and then take Hwy 180 to Holbrook and pick up I-40 again. You can find more cheesy in Winslow, AZ. They now have a park in honor of the Eagles song "Standin' on the corner in Winslow Arizona"

Utahtea

UGAphin Guest

go through southern utah.

see zion national park.

Default Death Valley should be experienced!

Quote Originally Posted by blakewho
    the allure of death valley is huge though, despite the heat...
    Just ask the several hundred northern europeans who flock there each summer. Yes, it is hot. But it is a hot that you have to experience to really comprehend. I can visit just anytime I want, and I still try and get there at least once during the summer months -- believe me - go -- you will not be disappointed. Carry lots of water, use extra common sense and you will enjoy it!
    one thought: is new orleans worth it? it takes us much further south than we would need to go otherwise. is it just a bunch of bars or is there something truly special about the place (without mardi gras in effect)?
    Utahtea's advice is well-taken -- dropping the Big Easy from your trip will save hundreds of miles that you can allocate to other parts of the trip. That said, New Orleans is special any time of the year. While the zany behavior of NO gets a little more wild during mardi gras, it is wild any day of the year. Plus there is darn good live jazz and the food, oh-my, the food is extraordinary.
    Mark

Default The "Corner" caught fire!

Quote Originally Posted by Utahtea
    You can find more cheesy in Winslow, AZ. They now have a park in honor of the Eagles song "Standin' on the corner in Winslow Arizona"
    Actually the building at this famous corner caught fire in November, 2004 and the park is mostly closed now. For a field report filed by Gerald Thurman soon after the fire, click here.