Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    UGAphin Guest

Default Summer 2006 American Road Trip

Hey, this is my first post. I am looking for any advice and thoughts on my plan.

I am going to be 20 next summer, and am looking for a couple of friends to do something along these lines.

Over 40-50 days, start in Atlanta and end up in Magnetawan, Ontario where I have a lakehouse.

I want to leave it up in the air to some degree, but the general route I want to take is.

Atlanta- New Orleans- Santa Fe- Telluride- Arches NP- Zion NP- Las Vegas- Death Valley- Yosemite- San Francisco- all the way up California and Oregon coast to- Portland- Seattle- Vancouver- Lake Louise- Banff- Regina- Winnipeg- Thunder Bay- Sault St. Marie- Magnetawan.

This trip totals 7,000 miles, about $900 in gas.
    We want to spend as little money as possible, what kind of money are we looking at? Are there any other attractions along the way we can't miss?

I want to drive off the interstates once we get to Santa Fe, but I am really not interested in Texas.

Any advice will be heeded.

Default Suggestions

1. You are hitting enough National Parks that it will pay to get a National Parks Pass.

2. To help choose non-interstate roads, get a free copy of America's Byways Map We have also discovered some great roads using the Readers Digest "The Most Scenic Drives in America." You might also check AAA state maps & the Rand McNally Road Atlas (under $5.00 at WalMart) for their ideas of scenic drives.

3. As to places, if you are going to Arches & Zion, I'd add Bryce NP. There are also a number of beautiful state parks - check the National Geographic's "State Parks of the United States." Although you may be too far west for a practical stop, we loved Burney Falls on CA Route 89. In Washington state we really enjoyed Olympic NP, the San Juan Islands & the Cascades. Some details on our web page.

4. Lastly, leave plenty of extra time so you don't feel pressured to skip something you want to add at the last minute. In the worst case, you can always hop on an interstate to catch up.

UGAphin Guest

Default hey

I looked over your trip. It looks like you drove upwards of 9,000 miles. Thats alot of driving with just two people.

Does our schedule look realistic to you? Any changes you would make, having done a trip like this yourself?

We are young and have alot of energy and I doubt it will be a problem. We also want to balance seeing the natural parts of the country with finding some fun spots along the way.

Alot of my friends think this trip is dumb and I should get an internship instead of travel. That makes me sick, truly. I think I am at a great age for a roadtrip like this.

Anyways, thanks.

Default You get to be an adult for the rest of your life....

Does our schedule look realistic to you? Any changes you would make, having done a trip like this yourself?
    I have driven a little over a million miles in recent years. Your route of drive seems reasonable, although once you are out there you will probably want to stay longer in areas than you have left time for at present.
    Alot of my friends think this trip is dumb and I should get an internship instead of travel.
    I dunno. I don't really see the value of acting responsibily so soon. You will be an adult for the rest of your life. I say -- do the road trip!

Mark

UGAphin Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Editor
    . You will be an adult for the rest of your life. I say -- do the road trip! Mark
    Funny you said that, my response to my friends was

"Congratulations, you're going to achieve the age of thirty by your 21st birthday."
    Last edited by Mark Sedenquist; 05-30-2005 at 05:09 PM.

We are young and have alot of energy and I doubt it will be a problem. We also want to balance seeing the natural parts of the country with finding some fun spots along the way.
    Since we are in our 60's, I guess you could say we are old but have lots of energy! Anyhow, anytime you have the possibility of making a road trip do it. You never know what the future will bring, but you probably have less tying you down now than you will later. We have been lucky, having a job that often allowed 2 - 3 months for traveling; at last count we have made 7 cross country trips, and uncountable 1 - 2 week local trips.

As to schedule - I agree with Mark - you will discover new places to visit by talking to people while on your trip. Be sure to leave time to be able to do that.

Again, since only you know what it is you are interested in seeing, spend some time searching the web, books, travel magazines (one of my favorite off the main track travel magazines is "Country Journal"), maps, and anything else that will help you plan a route. I have met people who travel to visit every state capital, railroad museums, lighthouses, watefalls, music festivals, local food, or even to search the country for the perfect Cinnamon Roll!

I usually carry a laptop. One of the things I have found useful is to maintain a file called "Next Trip." Anytime I find something interesting when reading this site, a travel blog, looking at a map, a TV show, or magazine, or even some nearby place we can't fit in a current trip schedule, I add a link or description to the file. Working with the file & my GPS mapping software provides a good way of planning the next trip.

Have a great trip & be sure to leave some time afterwards to compare the pleasures of your trip with those that spent the time in their internships. I suspect you will come out on top!

UGAphin Guest

Default I'm disgustingly anxious- Want advice for scenic roads along this route

I am willing to go fairly out of the way for a nice drive. Here is my route again. I'm only listing necessary stops. Well, they are fairly necessary.

Atlanta
    New Orleans
    Santa Fe
    Colorado Rockies
    Southern Utah national parks
    Vegas
    Death Valley
    Sequoia
    Yosemite
    San Francisco
    Portland
    Seattle
    Vancouver
    Canadian Rocky Mountains
    Toronto

The road that I have discovered that I am eagerly anticipating is HWY 12 in Utah. I'm fine with taking interstates when the speed outweighs the scenery. But if there is anything to see, I want to see it. If you happen to have seen anything you loved along this route, please tell me and I WILL take note. Tell me any great highways I can take, or any sights or anything. If you are extremely bored, you can even tell me the entire route YOU would take if you were to embark on this expedition.

Keep in mind this is a 40-60 day vacation. This is the second post regarding this trip I have made, and I would expect there to be many more in the future. I want this to be the best trip of my life. Oh, and its for next summer.

Quote Originally Posted by UGAphin
    The road that I have discovered that I am eagerly anticipating is HWY 12 in Utah.
    I have the pleasure of living at the northern end of Utah Hwy 12, it is an amazing road in all seasons.

Default Interstates and Scenery are not mutually exclusive

Quote Originally Posted by UGAphin
    I'm fine with taking interstates when the speed outweighs the scenery.
    I think you may not seeing the forest for the trees. There is plenty of scenery to be found on interstate highways and in some places, (like Glenwood Canyon in Colorado or the Virgin River Gorge in Arizona,) the only way you can see it from a car is from the interstate.

UGAphin Guest

Default I understand that

But, one huge part of being in a place, for me, is seeing farms, small towns, and the lazy life that goes around away from the interstates. The only commerce you see from the side of interstates are gas stations. The scenery may be good, but it just doesn't feel the same. I also like windier roads, they keep me awake.