Stefan Bengtsson Guest

Default Can I drive into Canada with my rental?

Am I allowed to drive into Canada (Detroit-Buffalo) with my US rental car? I'm from Europe.

Default Read the fine print!

The answer to this question depends not only on the rental car company, but even the policies of their local outlet. If you've already rented the car, all you can do is closely examine the contract you signed and see what it says. I just got back from a trip where, even though I had 'unlimited miles', I was not allowed out of a three state region since I was renting from a local franchisee of a national company. My next rental (for later this month) clearly states that the car is not to be taken outside the continental US. I also once rented a car in Vancouver and drove it into Point Roberts, WA (USA), and had a little difficulty getting back into Canada (the only place you can go from Point Roberts!). My point is that if you've already taken 'ownership' of the rental, you're stuck with whatever contract you signed. If you haven't got the car yet, ask before you rent and be perfectly clear on what you're allowed. It could be VERY important in the case of an accident or someone breaking into the car.

AZBuck

Default Where are you picking up the rental?

Am I allowed to drive into Canada (Detroit-Buffalo) with my US rental car? I'm from Europe.
    If the rental location is close to the border, it is generally acceptable, but you will have to pay a surcharge. If you rent the vehicle from a location that is not contiguous to the border -- I can just about guarantee that it will be prohibited.

Mark

Stefan Bengtsson Guest

Ok, but let's say that I'm NOT allowed to drive outside the US, what are the chances of something happening driving Detroit-Buffalo? It should only take 1-2 hours, right?

Default What?

Quote Originally Posted by Stefan Bengtsson
    Ok, but let's say that I'm NOT allowed to drive outside the US, what are the chances of something happening driving Detroit-Buffalo? It should only take 1-2 hours, right?
    Um. What kinds of things are you expecting? I don't understand the query.

Default I wouldn't try it

First of all, the Buffalo to Detroit run will take much more than 1-2 hours, try 4-5.

As far as what could happen, think of it this way, if you leave the country and break your rental contract, you are essentially driving a stolen car. So if you get into a accident, get pulled over, or try to come back into the US, you'll probably run into more than a few headaches. Not to mention, any insurance you have would be completely void, leaving you to pay for 100% of any and all damages, including property damage and medical bills, if you are involved in a crash.

I don't think that would be worth it, particularly when you'd only add a couple hours of travel time by staying in the US and driving south of the great lakes.

Stefan Bengtsson Guest

Ok, Thanks for the info! I'll just drive south of the lakes then. :)