1. Default Safest route from Baltimore to Twentynine Palms, CA this week

Two people and 3 cats are moving from Baltimore, Maryland to Twentynine Palms,CA this week in my Kia Sportage, but weather looks pretty bad for some of trip. I have to be out of apartment on February 26th, but can leave as early as February 22nd if it means better weather along the way. Don't mind if we have to stay an extra day somewhere to avoid the worst. Can take my time getting there to CA, so out of the way detours are fine by me. Please and thank you for any help on a safe route, pet friendly hotels, etc!

Default Weather and Safety

Welcome aboard RoadTrip America!

The simple fact is that we can't tell you what the weather will be at the end of the month, or even a few days from now. You cannot know at the start of a five day (minimum) RoadTrip what the weather will be even at the halfway mark. Weather is just not that predictable and no matter what is implied by terms such as 'AccuWeather', any forecast beyond a couple of days is not much more than an educated guess.

The two best things you can do to provide for your safety on such a trip is to plan to use the safest, most direct roads available and to allow for the inevitable weather changes that will occur. The first thing requires that you stick to the Interstate system as much as possible and the second requires that you hold an extra day or two in reserve should you have to sit our any conditions you're uncomfortable driving in.

So, as to the first of those, I'd use I-70 to Hancock, I-68 to Morgantown WV, I-75 to Washington PA, back onto I-70 to St. Louis, I-44 to Oklahoma City, I-40 to Needles Ca, and finally US-95/CA-63 to Twentynine Palms. As to the second, leave six days to a full week for the drive instead of just five. You can then use that extra day or two to just stay off the road if the weather turns bad, or if things go better than planned, you can use those days for some sight-seeing on the western portion of your trip.

AZBuck

I-75 to Washington PA
    I believe you mean I-79?

Suggested bypasses:

Take I-470 around Wheeling WV, I-270 SOUTH around Columbus OH, I-465 SOUTH around Indy, I-255 SOUTH around STL. Stay on I-44 through Tulsa OK, and at OKC take I-35 SOUTH to I-40. Note that there's a $5 cash toll between MO and Tulsa, and $5 cash between Tulsa and OKC. If you take the Kilpatrick Turnpike around OKC, it's electronic toll only, your EZ-Pass is not accepted in OK. It's pay by plate without a Pikepass, and quite expensive (over $5).

US-95/CA-63 to Twentynine Palms.
    I believe you mean CA-62. Another option is take I-40 to Kelbaker Rd, go south to old 66, go west to Amboy Rd, then south to the "Stumps".

4. Default

Your advice on sticking to the Interstate system and allowing extra days for unforeseen weather conditions is very practical and helpful for anyone planning a long drive. The route you’ve suggested seems well-thought-out, providing a balance between safety and efficiency. For those embarking on a similar journey, it’s always wise to check the latest weather forecasts and road conditions before and during the trip. Additionally, having an emergency kit, including items like blankets, food, water, and a first-aid kit, can be invaluable in case of unexpected situations.

5. Default

Since you're flexible on timing, leaving a few days early could definitely give you a better shot at smoother weather. Checking out routes like I-40 or I-10 could be good options, with stops in pet-friendly hotels along the way. Places like Flagstaff, AZ, or Albuquerque, NM, could offer nice breaks in the journey. Just make sure to keep an eye on the forecast and plan your stops accordingly.

I believe this trip was done over a month ago.