Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
  1. Default

Monument Valley - Staying in a Hogan... just for the experience!

GC - a B&B just outside the park

Death Valley - Furnace Creek

Yosemite - Night before at Mammoth Lakes and looking to get a second night somewhere in the park... not booked yet, will be looking later today.

Quote Originally Posted by Londoner Pete View Post
    So flights booked (July 1st - 24th).

Route planned and now beginning to book accommodation. The road atlas advice was much appreciated - it has been very useful.

18th - Highway 1 to Monteray

19th - AM Pebble Beach Golf (hopefully) then drive to Pismo beach area Highway 1

thoughts?
    Monterey: Lone Oak Lodge. I stayed there a few years ago while visiting Monterey, Carmel and northern Big Sur. It was a reasonably priced, clean old-style motel.

Just north of Pismo Beach is Shell Beach (both are part of a huge miles long cove). I planned to stay at the Shell Beach Inn until my plans changed from a cross-country flight to a cross country road trip and a reunion of sorts north of Santa Barbara. Having not stayed there I can not personally vouch for the Inn based upon personal experience, but I had researched / scrubbed area motels. Basic, but blocks from the beach and 5 minutes to the Pismo Beach Pier.

Have a fun trip!

3. Default

Thanks I'll take a look at them.

I've made use of Air BnB for the first time at some points of the trip, but haven't booked Monteray or Pismo/Shell so that's a useful tip.

4. Default West Coast Loop

At the very early stages of planning my road trip this site was my first port of call and now it is all booked I thought i'd pop back and say Thank you for the advice.

Starting in LA (Riverside) I take in Sedona, Winslow, Four Corners, Monument Valley, Grand Canyon, Seligman, Kingman, Hoover Dam, Las Vegas, Death Valley, Yosemite, San Francisco and PCH back to LA.

I'll make a point of coming back in August and letting you know how it went, but really appreciate the advice given.

Thanks again

Peter

Moderator Note: Please keep all posts about this trip in the same thread.
    Last edited by Midwest Michael; 01-04-2016 at 05:22 AM. Reason: Merged Threads

Peter, we have a special forum for that, and would love to hear how you got on, and of course, see some of your pics. Hope you are able to make some notes as you go.

Looking forward to it.

Lifey

6. Default

Hi Pete!

I'm also from England and am planning a road trip that includes quite a bit of what you're doing. As I say, I haven't been yet but I'll share a couple of things I have found that your son might enjoy.

In Vegas we're planning on hitting up cowabunga waterpark to take a break from the drinking/gambling side, and it looks awesome so could be great for you and your son.

Just outside of San Francisco we're staying in Santa Cruz, it has a great boardwalk and fun fair on the beach which you might both love!

I'm still planning my own trip but if I come across anything else I'll come back to this post.

I hope you have a great time!
    Last edited by Southwest Dave; 04-28-2016 at 03:46 AM. Reason: Outside links not permitted.